Did you mean: 

After Maintenance Subscription Term Ends

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1089 Views, 4 Replies

After Maintenance Subscription Term Ends

Scenario: Let's say that I purchase "Product Design Suite Premium 2016" with a Perpetual License, Physical Delivery, and a 1 year Maintenance Subscription. I have the Suite installed on "Computer A." After one year--at the end of the Maintenance Subscription term--I do not renew the Maintenance Subscription. Shortly thereafter, Computer A has a catastrophic hardware failure, and I need to perform a new installation.

Concern #1: After reading several posts here in the Autodesk forums, it seems that when a the Maintenance Subscription term ends, I am entitled to use the software perpetually (without further payment to Autodesk). Furthermore, the version that I am entitled to use is the version that the software was at on the last day of the Maintenance Subscription term. Although there are posts that seem to support this, I couldn't find clear verbiage on this in the  Maintenance Subscription Terms. Where is this stated in the license agreement?

Concern #2: Let's assume that I am correct so far, and that I am entitled to use the software perpetually at the version that was last available on the Maintenance Subscription term. Note that in my scenario, I chose "Physical Delivery", which I surmise to mean that I would receive installation medium, such as a set of DVDs. Let's say that I have this installation medium, as well as an Autodesk account. I want to perform a fresh install on my new computer, Computer B, and I want to make sure the version matches the last version that was available at the end of the Maintenance Subscription term. I am not sure whether I am able to download an online installer from my Autodesk account, or whether I need to install from the physical installation medium and then perform an update. If Computer A crashes, and the Maintenance Subscription term ends, will I be able to reinstall the last version that was available on the Maintenance Subscription Term on my new computer, Computer B?

Concern #3: In the case that my computer dies (and I need to buy a new computer), I worry about the problem of transferring the software to the new computer after the Maintenance Subscription term ends. I'm guessing that there is an activation process during installation that somehow ties the software to the computer hardware in a way that restricts users from installing one copy of the software onto multiple machines (please correct me on this). I'm wondering whether installing the software on a new machine is hassle-free, or whether it is possible that I will lose my rights to use the software because I only have rights to use the software that was installed on Computer A (the machine that doesn't work anymore). After the Maintenance Subscription term ends, do I have the rights to transfer the software from one computer to another, and can I perform the transfer even if the previous computer has died?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mattytrax,

With regards to concern 1: that information is in the LSA (License and Serevice Agreement) not the subscription terms. If you go to your help menu you can access that at any time, or it can also be found here: http://download.autodesk.com/us/FY16/Suites/LSA/en-US/lsa.html It state's what you've summized. You can continue to use the latest version you were upgraded to prior to subscription expiring for as long as you have a machine that will run that version (i.e., it's hard to find computers that will still run release 12). 

Concern 2: Yes, you will be able to reinstall the last version. My understanding is that you'll have access to the download in your account, but even if not, you can still use your physical media (if you were still on 2016) or they will have access to download older versions on some location on their site (such as currently through the Autodesk Virtual Agent) or through your reseller for access to media download or physical copies.

Concern 3: For all standalone activations, regardless of subscription status, you're allowed two online activations. This is to allow you to use it on a work computer & home computer, or a work desktop and a field laptop or if your machine crashes and you need to reinstall on a new machine (both activations can't be in use at the same time). After the second activation, you can still reactivate on new computers if needed, but it's not automatic like the first two, you must request an activation code either by contacting Autodesk or your reseller for assistance.  Here's the link: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contactus/activation-registration/activating-product/activation-codes...

As long as you can still access the old machine, though, you can transfer the licnese from one computer to another, regardless of subscription status.

I hope this helps with your questions,

Jennifer Hoskens

CAD-1, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
felice.s

Couple of addtions to @Anonymous great post...

I think the link provided is broken, however, this is the one to use if you need to contact us for an activation:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contactus/activation-registration/activating-product/activation-codes-and-request-codes

See section 1.2.1 of the license agreement (LSA) that Jennifer pointed you to.  The way the two legal agreements (the Subscription terms and the LSA) work is like this... when a product is upgraded, the LSA indicates that the older version must be un-installed, unless you have an active Maintenance Subscription. In this case, you may continue to use the older version (together with the upgrade) in accordance with the Maintenance Subscription terms. If you allow your Maintenance Subscription to expire, the additional benefit of using the previous version (provided by your Maintenance Subscription) also expires and you are left with the version you have rights to under the LSA (ie - the version to which you upgraded.)

Regards,

Felice

Felice S
Consumption Business Models Team
Message 4 of 5
dgorsman

Still, I wouldn't count on being able to download the installer, service packs, etc. for retired/unsupported versions.  When you get access to a new version download the installer and back it up somewhere along with all service packs, hotfixes, serial numbers, product codes, and so on.  Same principle as backing up your drawing files: if you are responsible for it, back it up yourself.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks Jennifer for the detailed reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report