Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

navisworks stimulate, review, manage & freedom

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
7445 Views, 14 Replies

navisworks stimulate, review, manage & freedom

Hi all, this probably a dumb question but what is the differences between navisworks stimulate, review, manage & freedom..I am just inquiring about this software to make sure that I get the right one for what I need. What I need is a software to make my autocad 3D model (mostly structural and conveyors which is done in 3D prosteel) become more realistic for visual presentation. Please advice on which software I should look into.

Thanks,
Joel
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
DarrenP
in reply to: Anonymous

are you trying to make high quality rendering?
if thats the case you should be looking at Autodesk 3ds Max or Autodesk Maya not navisworks Edited by: DarrenP on Feb 24, 2010 6:32 AM

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Navis "Presenter" is what you are looking for, I think it used to be a separate add-on but it was included with my Navis Manage.

BUT... I have had better results using Autocad for rendering. It has come a long way in my opinion. It takes a little more work than using Presenter but I like the results better from Autocad.

Also, Presenter has a lot of predefined materials and lighting schemes that are very easy to use so if you aren't familiar with Autocad's rendering, Presenter is pretty straight forward to use.

Another thing to think about is the cost, you already have Autocad, Navis is pretty expensive if all you are going to do is render with it.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

yup, basically all I need to do is rendering so the client can have the visual for what the need. When I render something in autocad it doesn't look nice, see attached example. I also want to know the differences between naviswork stimulate, manage, review and or freedom. Another option is to go with autodesk maya just like Darren suggested. Thanks for all reply!!
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

From the looks of the render, it looks like you have barely scratched the surface of what Autocad can do.

Take a look at the image I attached here, I rendered it in Autocad, no other software.

If you want, send me the DWG you of what you posted and I can show you what you can do with Autocad.

I believe that Navis manage has all the bells and whistles, simulate lets you just do 4D(time based) modeling showing how a project develops over a period of time. Review..... I am not sure what that does on its own. Freedom is just a NWD viewer so anyone can open an NWD and walk through it. I use manage for clash detection and 3D coordination.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Mike, heres a copy of the drawing I doubt that you will be able to open it because its in CAD but Prosteel format..because thats what we use here. Prosteel runs inside cad as an add on for steel detailing.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

or sometimes i just do this..i printscreen and paste it on word document and i pdf it..so it will look like this..or sometimes i send them the dwf files but then when i use dwf my material for concrete also goes to the material on my steel even if the steel is on different material.
Message 8 of 15
Patrick_Aps_9121

It's very simple:
Freedom:
- Can only open created NWD files in the other versions. Is to be compared as the "Adobe Reader" for NWD files.
- Can navigate, walk fly etc.
- Can restore saved viewpoints (with comments) and play created animations
- Can NOT measure in 3D
Review:
- Can open all supported CAD formats and combine them togheter into one NWD file. (With some effot, this can be sceduled overnight)
- Can add comments to the 3D model
- Can Save Viewpoints
- Can Mearure
- Can change the colours and visibilty of items based on properties, but only in normal colours (no textures and renderings)
- Can create a report of all viewports with comments. These comments can be exported and imported in the next "Revision" of the model.
Simulate
- Adds Rendering with lights an textures
- Adds Animations and Objects in motion
- Adds export to JPG larger than 2048x2048 pixels and export to AVI.
- Adds 4D: Linking the model to a Timeline in MS Project or Primavera
Manage
- Adds Clash detection (between models of all different CAD origin)
Message 9 of 15
Patrick_Aps_9121

Because there is no ProSteel "Object Enabler" for my Navisworks, I onlu come to see the lines (edges) of the steelwork.
Which is quite useless.
Appending materials in Navisworks Manage does not make a difference
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Can you try to explode the prosteel objects into 3d faces or solids or maybe export to a regular autocad file? I can't even find a prosteel object enabler.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Patrick, I guess what i need is Naviswork simulate..so manage doesn't do any rendering and textures?
or maybe just go with autodesk maya, which ever one is easier to use and will do the job.
Message 12 of 15
Patrick_Aps_9121

No, Simulate does all that Review does AND it does all the meantioned features
Manage does all that Simulate (and Review) does AND it is also capable of 3D Clash Detection
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

awesome, so manage it is..what do it think of it in terms of 3D rendering and for presentation purpose.
Is it pretty easy to use? and is there some kind of tutorial for rendering and such?
Message 14 of 15
Patrick_Aps_9121

Well, I would not know in your case: The price difference is huge:
Freedom 0€
Review 2500 €
Simulate 5000 €
Manage 10000€
So If see no direct use of 3D clash detection, then I would go for Simulate.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Why are going to so much effort to avoid rendering inside Acad.
All the tools are there for you at 0$ and there is no file tranforming.
If you make changes you just hit the render button and all your previous
work in assigning materials is reused without altering.
Tranfering to another package only complicates the issue and has to have
significant paybacks to overcome this (as many do with Artlantis).
You could even setup your typical materials in your template.
Or just create once and drag and drop an object with the material assigned
into your new file and the materials are there to assign.
To double what Mike said, there is a lot more on offer for rendering inside
acad than what you are accessing. Even to creating fly thru movies.
If your files are anywhere as simple as what you posted you can also export
to dwfx 3d and clients can use Design Review (not navisworks) to review,
walkthru etc. It has slicing tools in plan and section.
I'm still experimenting and neither products come up to ArchiCAD's new
Virtual Building Explorer but they are for a slightly different purpose. I
don't knw that VBE can measure etc.

wrote in message news:6344287@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks Patrick, I guess what i need is Naviswork simulate..so manage doesn't
do any rendering and textures?
or maybe just go with autodesk maya, which ever one is easier to use and
will do the job.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report