Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks can't open revit files.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
17036 Views, 14 Replies

Navisworks can't open revit files.

When trying to open .rvt files in freedom, simulate and manage 2018 I am getting an error message. 'No plugin exists that can open (filepath\filename.rvt)'

When trying to open via append, in the software, it's a different error '(filepath\filename.rvt) can't open due to internal error.'

This is the same with every .rvt file.

I am able to open these the same way on another machine but can't spot a difference.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
a_meteni
in reply to: Anonymous

Rather than opening/appending  .RVT file in Navisworks try exporting it first from Revit and open .nwc file.

Also note that Freedom can't open .RVT or .NWC files ( Only .DWF or .NWD)

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: a_meteni

Thanks for responding!

I have suggested that to the user but I am able to open directly on someone else's machine so am trying to find out why I can't replicate this

Message 4 of 15
a_meteni

Thanks for the feedback.
On this machine, under the Add-ins tab in Revit if the option to export NWCs is missing ? I think you’ll not be able to open .RVT file directly into Navisworks unless this feature is there.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

For anyone who's interested I think I just solved the problem.

In the options editor you need to got to file readers > revit > make sure (convert all properties) is ticked and in the drop down box next to convert, choose 'entire project'

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

If above solution does not work try open nwc file instead of rvt.

It work for me this way.

Message 7 of 15
rafilathif

In the option can not see the revit menu How can i get it.Capture.PNG

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 15
yiliang_yew

But if you do export, NWC cant be refreshed when you update and save your working revit model.

@a_meteni wrote:

Rather than opening/appending  .RVT file in Navisworks try exporting it first from Revit and open .nwc file.

Also note that Freedom can't open .RVT or .NWC files ( Only .DWF or .NWD)

Message 9 of 15
a_meteni
in reply to: yiliang_yew

Correct, you’ll need to re-export / overwrite the NWC file to be able to refresh your NW model

Message 10 of 15
yiliang_yew

is this a bug or something ?

Autodesk should solve this thing. 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Hi all, inline with the above query. The issue from this end doesn't appear to be solved when changing the setting within navis, we still get the same issue that navis will not open Revit models directly. I understand that a work around is by exporting an nwc but this is a work around not an answer to our problem. 

Autodesk come on this has been going on for a while now, please give us a solution to this issue. 

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Error.PNGi'm trying to open Revit 2019 in Navi'swork 2018 i'm getting error as shown in attachments, how to sort out  that.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

I dont think you can open rvt 2019 in Naviswork 2018. You have to open in Naviswork 2019 or 2020.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you 

Message 15 of 15
jacksonNYPBJ

My revit model is '18 version, and I'm using '19 Navis... Still getting this error. It's driving me MENTAL! Has anyone got this sorted yet? (without exporting to NWC) 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report