Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks 2010 problem on windows server 2008 64Bit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
531 Views, 4 Replies

Navisworks 2010 problem on windows server 2008 64Bit

Might as well ask if there are lots of windows server 2008 64Bit users out there.
General opinion is really good to know and if anyone there experiencing same do post for Discussion.

Having some issues on using 2008 server, one may consider it oddities as well

Current System:
Windows Server 2008 R2 64Bit
Navisworks Review 2010 64Bit

Issue 1:
After opening any dgn file, Global options setting are fixed to a default state. No idea how to override the default state or where to find the configuration that makes the default state.

Issue 2:
Task Scheduler "Run whether user is logged on or not" has a different effect, maybe because of issue 1.
using the -options in cli mode is not followed when user is not logged on. In my original configuration of globalOptions.xml dgn references are ignored(uncheck).

Hope to hear from other users also.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Hold on a sec - are you running the NavisWorks application on a server operating system and *not* on a desktop OS? I'm sure there are a number of 64 bit OS users out there (I'm not one them, though) but they should all be running the program on the desktop OS.
----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Yes, I'm using on a 64bit Server OS on a Server Platform ( HP ML-370 G5 )

for some reasons like:
- company provided a server instead of desktop.
- the publishing of nwd takes most of memory.
- the size I'm currently publishing exceeds the norm.
- publishing is made on a minimum of 3x daily basis.
- client won't settle on a split or by area unless they on their side have problems on the overall area
- I have no other choice, that is what they provided... I just work with what I have.

I guess you may have pointed something important there, I could use a desktop OS instead of the server OS and check the differences.
- then I'd go check available drivers, make another proposal, argue with my supervisors, argue with those who think know something but just want to waste my time, argue with the admin on why make another budget, get the IT staff cooperation, argue with the client on that there would be an intermittent downtime in handling of NWD files, argue with the project lead / area lead / team lead and those that review and make comments... ( *tired* ... Just thinking about it gives me a headache )

But because of the current project is already ongoing, I couldn't do much about it now... just wish that everything will be smooth until the end.
Overall its working its just that It doesn't go to what we have accustomed to.

Thanks for the comment,

Regards
Message 4 of 5
JeffH_ADSK

Hi there,

Windows Server 2008 R2 is not an OS we test extensively with. It's built on the same core architecture as Windows 7 so I would imagine any issues with Navisworks 2010 on Windows 7 would apply. I would also note that Navisworks 2010 is not directly supported on Windows 7 or its inheritors - support for Windows 7 was added in Navisworks 2011. Again I would stress that we have not tested extensively with the Server operating systems for 2011 as this is not an anticipated deployment scenario - Navisworks is aimed at the desktop.

Please note that the Microsoft server operating systems come by default with very restrictive security models compared to a desktop OS; many operations are disabled by default or require elevated permissions explicitly.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I agree with you there Jeff, Autodesk support also answered that Server 2008 is not supported and may experience oddities if you may call it.

Just wondering if somebody out there also did the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report