Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG Loader ?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
wtheron
1939 Views, 12 Replies

DWG Loader ?

Fresh installation of Manage 2017, Autodesk App says no updates available. I am unable to set  the DWG loader in the options menu. It is permanently greyed out. I also tried to export the settings to XML, changing it there and reimporting back. No such luck.

Any Ideas ?

DWG Loader Version.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
J450NP13
in reply to: wtheron

Does it append DWG's?

Message 3 of 13
wtheron
in reply to: J450NP13

Can confirm I am able to append. DWG / DXF, SAT Etc.

DWG Loader still greyed out in the options dialog...

Message 4 of 13
dgorsman

DWG Loader version only comes into play when dealing with custom objects and object enablers (which have a specific DWG version e.g. Civil3D 2015 would use the 2015 DWG Loader), and later verrsions should read earlier versions without a problem.

Still, kind of curious as to the reasoning for this or if its just an oversight.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 13
sureshchotrani

I fully agree with 

www.bim-3d-4d-5d.blogspot.com
www.bim-navisworks.blogspot.com
Twitter @SureshChotrani
Give KUDOs if happy & accept solution if post provides solution
Message 6 of 13

Navisworks 2017 only includes the RealDWG 2017 loader. This brings Navisworks into line with other Autodesk products which only include the latest version of RealDWG. 

Supporting older versions of RealDWG has become increasingly difficult as more components are shared between Autodesk products, leading to version conflicts when using an older version of RealDWG. We've reached the point where it's not possible to support this anymore.

If you need to use RealDWG 2016 or earlier (for example you're using an object enabler which isn't available for 2017 yet), you'll need to stick with Navisworks 2016.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 7 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: tim.wiegand

Thanks Tim.  This should probably be stickied at the top of this forum, I can see object enabler compatibility being an ongoing issue as more users upgrade.

Message 8 of 13
info
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi together,

I can not believe that! I'm just speechless. What is happening now?

Message 9 of 13
abeeler

As a program specifically designed for collaboration, it is astounding that the new version doesn't support older DWGs.  After I just performed a fresh install of Navisworks Manage 2017, I am now forced to roll-back to 2016.

Message 10 of 13
tim.wiegand
in reply to: abeeler

Just to be clear: Navisworks does support older DWGs. What it does not support (in line with all other Autodesk products) is use of older object enablers. If you have the 2017 object enablers you need installed, you should be able to read 2017 and earlier DWGs without any problems.

If you do need to use an older object enabler (perhaps the 2017 version is not available yet) you can continue to use Navisworks 2016 for that. You can have both Navisworks 2016 and Navisworks 2017 installed on the same machine. The Navisworks 2016 and 2017 file formats are the same so you can switch between the two without any compatibility issues.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 11 of 13
info

This procedure is a further step to bring the user into a cataclysm blissful dependence on Autodesk. After purchasing licenses are abolished, all other users will be forced to the rental model to upgrade. I hope that people will see through this strategy and consider their decisions well. There are good reasons for the users why older object enabler should be supported. This has not been a user friendly step! This is a first clear when the license conditions carefully look at and then is able to understand what they may have in store for complications for the user.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

It would seem, then, that my 2015 DWG would load into 2017 Navisworks...while it does, all I get are the bounding boxes of the objects I need.  What do I do about that?

Message 13 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

What program created the objects?  You'll need the 2017 DWG object enabler for that program, since OE's can read and "understand" earlier versions of that content.  If there isn't a 2017 DWG OE available you'll need to use an earlier version of Navisworks, one that supports the available OE.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report