Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Point Clouds & Revit export to Navisworks /ifc

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lacullinane
3326 Views, 4 Replies

Combining Point Clouds & Revit export to Navisworks /ifc

Morning All,

Has anyone had any success in visualising a combination of both Point Cloud data and parametric data from Revit within an AR environment? The point cloud originated from a Matterport scanner. Ideally I'm trying to come to a solution where I can go to the finished site and use a tablet to see the changes of the finished site with comparisons to both the point cloud ifnormation and the Revit model information.

Also had issues with combining the point cloud and exported parametric data from Revit. I've attached two images (one with the nwc file and the other with the rcp file appended in (tried merging too but with no change in result). Both images (attached) have some 3D view points from the Revit file almost to act as a reference point to viewing them, but the appending of the rcp just makes everything vanish...oddly enough though, if I scroll the click-wheel (so look up/down from a human perspective) I can see the nwc but not the rcp...

Any suggestions for:

• Software (tablet based) to view both point cloud and parametric info on site (ideally AR environment)?
  • Issues with point cloud data and parametric info not showing in Navisworks?

Cheers,

Lewis

Regards,
Lewis
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AdvancedCM
in reply to: lacullinane

Hi Lewis,

I struggled with this problem also and posted an issue on the A360 Ideastation at 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-ideastation/nwd-published-from-rcp-works-in-navisworks-freedom-no...

I now use a work around to export an RCS file from Recap and append that in Navisworks along with new designs (Revit, AutoCAD, JT files, etc.) and then publish that NWF into an NWD which can be viewed in Freedom 2015 and above (which support the RCS point cloud). This works, but the files can be large although they work well in Freedom. I'm also looking for an AR option, but have been unsuccessful using Navisworks data. I'm still investigating options from Navisworks to 3DS Max but struggling there also.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Message 3 of 5
lacullinane
in reply to: AdvancedCM

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the reply and solution for the point clouds. Yeah I think I'm looking to possibly go down the route of a Unity application integrated into a web app for the AR, although I wonder if Stingray (on my list to look at) may mix things up a bit. You had a look into this?

Regards,
Lewis
Message 4 of 5
AdvancedCM

Thanks, I didn't know about Stingray and haven't used it. I also looked at Unity a while back and recently have seen some terrific improvement especially with the Oculus Rift consumer set coming out soon. I'd like to stay with Autodesk, but it's frustrating when I end up with a gap between their own software or limited to a cloud solution. Folks I work with typically won't allow using their cloud.

I think Unity will work since by the time the project needs AR a lot of the checks have already been done against the point cloud during the design phase. It's a compromise but acceptable. I like your approach though.

Regards,

Tom

Message 5 of 5
EricWiens

Matterport is a great tool. Would love to have AR with point cloud and model on site. That would be awesome and ultimate end game for this technology.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report