Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read nwd,nwc,nwf Data

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1414 Views, 7 Replies

Read nwd,nwc,nwf Data

Are there any API Provided by Navisworks to read nwd ,nwc,nwf files. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

what data? the properties? Yes. plenty of resource on this forum explaining that.
Using the PropertiesCategory and DataProperty class.

To write data you will need to use the COM API. Also plenty of resources on this forum and the AEC blog.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I am fine using COM API . Can you help me in getting the Free SDK and some working examples which will make it easier for me to start reading nwd,nwc,nwf data

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Search the forum for SDK and you'll find it.

Search the forum for Samples and you'll find some. You will also find sample with the SDK.

Search the forum for Properties and you'll find information.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Does navisworks have COM API or .net api. I want to use the API from C++ application. Is there a way??

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

It has both COM and .Net, but the COM has more functions but is a bit harder to read / use.
I don't know C++, but I would assume that you can to do some wizardry to load the dll into a C++ app.
Message 7 of 8
xiaodong_liang

Hi,

Navisworks provides COM API, .NET API and NwCreate(C++)

COM API was introduced long time ago. It can access document and model. Similar abilities like UI. It is now maintained only. It is going to be retired in the future.

.NET API is wrapped from core code. It can access document and model. Similar abilities like UI. It follows Microsoft .NET framework guidelines. It has many equivalent abilities like COM API and also much more features than COM API such as Ribbon, document database, Timeliner, client graphics, interactive event, comprehensive abilities of viewpoint, clashtest etc. So in this perspective, I do not agree what ngombault mentioned in message 6" It has both COM and .Net, but the COM has more functions..".

In addition, even if some abilities that .NET has not while COM has (such as hyperlink, label, getting primitives of object), we can still use .NET to access these abilities by COM interop.

As to NwCreate, it is different to COM/.NET. it allows developer to create custom scene + geometry or custom loader that translates the 3rd file format.

So, if you just want to access the data (such as propertyes, model tree, viewpoints, seletcionset, timeliner, clashtes…), use .NET API.

As a start, please take a look at:
http://download.autodesk.com/media/adn/Navisworks_2011_API_Webcast-Sept2010.zip  

and download the SDK Ngombault mentioned.

And for spefici requirement, search on forum or our global blog:
http://adndevblog.typepad.com/

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Good summary, I only use the COM to fill gaps in .net hence why I assumed it was more complete. Thanks for the clarification.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report