Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location feature in Navisworks Manage 2016

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jeang
885 Views, 4 Replies

Location feature in Navisworks Manage 2016

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand what the "Locations" feature in Manage 2016 does, other than being able to create selection sets and isolate areas.

Is there a way to tap into those "Locations" through the API?

Ultimately I am trying to understand if an object can be tagged with the  location value based on x,y,z coordinates (i.e. if object coordinates are included in boundary of specified "Location" then... group clash per that location value!)

Can that be done?

Autodesk Autocad 2013 Certified Professional
Autodesk Revit 2013 Certified Profesional
Autodesk Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: jeang

Hi,
It is not much clear to me which ‘Location’ feature you are referring to

If the project directory, that looks a new feature of 2016, while I do not see any new API for that. Actually, there is not yet API for global option.

aa.png

If you are talking about the locations of grid & level, the API is available. They are:

DocumentParts.DocumentGrids
 Controls which Grid System is displayed.
 Controls which Grid Lines are displayed.
 Get levels and grid lines information
Api.GridsOptions
 Display options for Grid Systems. Including colour, render mode and x-ray mode.
 GridsOptions.Enabled
 Toggle grid on or off.

bb.png

And one blog demos how to display the closest Grid Point Intersection to an Object
http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/2014/01/closest-grid-point-intersection-to-an-object.html

I

Message 3 of 5
jeang
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Thanks Xiaodong, but that is not what I am referring to. I was actually the one to ask you about that grid instersection information a while back and that worked great!

What I am mentioning can be found on the general forum:

Locations in Navisworks Manage 2016

It's on the Home tab, right after the quantification tool.

I am basically looking into tapping into that information through the API (getting x,y,z coordinates for those defined locations, comparing them to the object basepoint and assigning that location property if it seems to be inside that given location).

Thanks!

Autodesk Autocad 2013 Certified Professional
Autodesk Revit 2013 Certified Profesional
Autodesk Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Message 4 of 5
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: jeang

Hi jeang,

I cannot even see such menu on my Navisworks Manage 2016 😞 So I am checking with our engineer team about it.

in general, API can access the properties of model item like what you see in Properties panel in UI. If such information (x,y,z) are there, you can get them. but it sounds it is not a model item, so i will need to see it before making more comments.
Message 5 of 5

Hi jeang,

I made a comment in the other post you mentioned:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/navisworks-general-discussion/locations-in-navisworks-manage-2016/m-p/...

i.e. this 'Locations' feature has never been shipped to final release of 2016. either does any API. Apologize for the any confusion that caused!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report