Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a saved viewpoints identifier ?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ssomasundaramKDYFP
629 Views, 7 Replies

How do I get a saved viewpoints identifier ?

I am trying to collect viewpoints from my model and store relevant data in an external database. How do I make a connection from the database to the model to capture changes to the viewpoints.? 

It apparently seems like the saved viewpoints don't come with a unique identifier. the Viewpoints does have  a GUID parameter but returns only a series of zeros for all saved viewpoints.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi @ssomasundaramKDYFP ,

Naveen Kumar T
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Here is the response I received from the Navisworks Engineering team.

"The full path (i.e. folder and name) should be unique in a given file"

Naveen Kumar T

Message 4 of 8

Hi Naveen, thanks for your reply, This means that the connection between the navis viewpoints and the external database will be lost if we change the parent folder or viewpoint name? 

I wonder how this is been implemented in applications like BIM track where it maintains the relationship between the viewpoint and their database ( when using Views to Issues). 

Message 5 of 8

Hi @ssomasundaramKDYFP ,

Sorry, I have no clue.

Naveen Kumar T

Message 6 of 8

Wondering if you could catch changes in document SavedViewpoints, create a unique GUID and replace said SavedViewpoint.
Of course this would work only if your Plugin is active but maybe worth considering?
Main Scientist, Full Stack Developer & When Time Permits Director of IDIGO ► On your marks, Set, Go
Message 7 of 8

@ssomasundaramKDYFP 

We do save viewpoints in an external database for BIM usage. To achieve that we write every information a SavedViewpoint keeps into the database. Camera, redlines and overrides are saved in json format.

On loading the viewpoint a new empty viewpoint is created, fixed up with data from database and then set as current viewpoint.

This essentially imitates the saved viewpoints mechanism of Navisworks but prevents model editors to rename or delete SavedViewpoints causing disconnection.

One drawback of this approach is that the overrides saved with a viewpoint in database may loose their connection to model items after those where moved or deleted. I currently use a heuristic in a batch run to recreate the connection. Not ideal but works - kind of.

Message 8 of 8

This doesn't work because you can have multiple viewpoints with the same name?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report