Nastran Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elastic plate deformation by rolling contact.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
escalante8896
327 Views, 2 Replies

Elastic plate deformation by rolling contact.

Hi! Can somebody help me with this?
In this model I've been trying to simulate the deformation of a plastic plate by applying different forces while increasing the degree of rotation of the platform, from -30° to 30° and with increments of 50 N every 10° (starting from 50 N).

I'm using titanium as materials on the deck and tube (I could use steel or something else, I use this because it's so solid and hard), and on the plate I'm using carbon fiber reinforced plastic (I really wanted to use carbon fiber reinforced with epoxy but i didn't find the component in the inventor library.

I want to know what would be the response of the component in this situation of movement and force, thanks!

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Inventor1.jpg

Message 3 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: escalante8896

Hi @escalante8896 

Welcome to the Inventor Nastran forum.

One thing is certain: no part of your model is statically stable, so you will not get a solution by running a static analysis. Why are all three parts of the model statically unstable?

• Why is the deck free to rotate around the "wheel" or "knob"? If you push on it when the deck is at any angle, it will just rotate to 0 degree angle.
  • There is no contact between the tube and plate. The tube will attempt to move due to the force; the plate will just remain stationary in space. Should those be bonded together? Separation contact? Something else?
  • Since the parts must be statically stable if you are doing a static analysis, the 46 mm gap between the plate and deck should be eliminated. No need to waste valuable analysis time to move the parts freely. Or are you trying to do a dynamic analysis and see what the impact force is? (If that is the case, you should use a dynamic analysis such as Explicit Dynamics.)

The other problem (which would be minimized or eliminated by removing the gap between the plate and deck) is the separation contact has no maximum activation distance entered. Contact elements are only generated at time zero. If the nodes are farther apart than the maximum activation distance, then no contact elements will be created. I suggest always specifying the maximum activation distance, unless you know what the rules are for the two defaults. (I do not know what the defaults are. 🙁

John

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report