Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox to Maya LT normal map not exporting properly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
820 Views, 5 Replies

Mudbox to Maya LT normal map not exporting properly

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Mudbox and Maya LT (Previously used blender.)  I have not been able to properly export my extracted normal map to Maya LT.  The extraction map works great in Mudbox, but seems to fail on the UV space in Maya LT.  It seems to pick up all the detail, but has some scalor offset that causes a sharp distortion in the tangent.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

MudboxNotWorking.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cornelh
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

can you disconnect the shader nodes?  then export the maps on their own and connect this manually in Maya?  unlock your normals and see if that works? something is definitely off, it could be your setting for the normal map (the normal space used. etc..)  If you can PM me a link the mudbox file that would great so I can trouble shoot on my end.  I look forward to your reply, thank you.

Message 3 of 6
cornelh
in reply to: cornelh

Your problem is that you have automatic UV's which are in pieces smaller than your pixels to your Map, 

Please unwrap you model correctly, then it will work like a charm

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: cornelh

It seems to be a problem UV related, but even when I have my UV maps on a simpler object it doesn't export properly.  I made a basic tennis ball out of

the default sphere, and tried exporting it to Maya LT.  Maya LT crashes ~50% of the time on export (I'm not sure why but it's not a big problem.)

The left Image is Mudbox, the right image is Maya LT.

Tennis_Mudbox.PNGTennis_Maya.PNG

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I made a bit of headway thanks to this youtube video. I was able to export the ball as an OBJ then manually add my normal map to the hypershader.  I tried to do the same with an FBX but the problem still remains.  So for now I have a round-about solution, I'll try it on the character model next.

Obj vs FBX.PNG

Message 6 of 6
cornelh

@Anonymous

Yup, that is what I suggested in my first post, is to manually create your shader nodes.  I will check our defect database and see if this has been logged or not.  If not, I will make sure it gets due attention (might be a Mudbox issue, or Maya so I have to figure that one out!)

Again thanks for the leg work and test on other objects.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with?  Best of luck on your project!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report