Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mudbox to Max Workflow

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1017 Views, 4 Replies

Mudbox to Max Workflow

Hi Everyone,

Forgive me if for asking if this has already been covered.

I'm new to Mudbox, but have been using 3DS Max for many years. I'm trying to learn a good workflow to get a finished model from MB back into Max.

What I've done so far is created a base mesh in Max, and then sculpted the model in MB. From this point I'm not sure what the correct process is. Where exactly do retopo and/or reduce mesh figure into the pipeline? Do I paint the model first?

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: Anonymous

there are many ways todo that...

i would do the retopo in max and bring that new mesh back into mudbox for baking and texturing.

here an overview video.

https://vimeo.com/271554026

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Christoph_Schaedl

Thanks for the link, it was partially  helpful.

Message 4 of 5
JabbaTheNut
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous,

The approach will most likely depend on the end use of your character (i.e., still image, game asset, vfx asset, etc.).  Many tutorials online will take you through the following general game asset process (limiting the pipeline to the software you suggested):

1.  Create a base mesh in 3ds Max (this will serve no purpose beyond the starting point of your sculpt).

2.  Sculpt your character in Mudbox starting with the base mesh.  If the topology becomes unwieldy (e.g., too stretched, etc.), and further subdividing won't help, then retopologize in Mubox to get more uniform topology and continue sculpting.  Use Mudbox's automated retopology tools for this.

3.  When finished sculpting, you can choose to paint your sculpted character in Mudbox.

4.  When sculpting/painting is complete, reduce the mesh in Mudbox (using the Reduce Mesh tool) and export/send the reduced mesh to 3ds Max for final retopology.  The final retopology should be suited for your purpose (e.g., considering animation edge flow, etc.).  The reduced mesh is only used as your retoplogy reference in 3ds Max.  Your original high poly sculpted/painted mesh will be used later for baking maps in Mudbox (as described below).

5.  UVW Unwrap your retopologized mesh in 3ds Max.

6.  Bring your final retopologized and UV'd mesh into Mudbox and bake normal/displacement/diffuse/etc. maps from your high poly finished sculpt to the new lower poly retopologized mesh.

7.  In 3ds Max you can then apply the baked maps to your final retopologized mesh.  The result will look like the finished sculpt in Mudbox.

Voila!

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JabbaTheNut

@JabbaTheNut

Thanks for taking the time to outline the process, it was very helpful!

I guess the one point at which I am a little fuzzy (due to lack of experience), is final retopology in 3DS Max. My main goal at the moment is to do highres still images. At least I have a better idea now of what I should be researching!

Thank you again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report