Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh errors

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
447 Views, 2 Replies

Mesh errors

long story short:

- importing a mesh : mudbox showing mesh errors (so far so good)

- (no auto cleanup)

- I select the faces that are part of the error (one by one / error - crazy right? : )) and I delete the faces

- Manualy changint to border selection, I select the borders, I go to mesh - patch - to close the holes

- every even erroe one by one....

Incredible time consuming, but well, thats the price to EVEN STARTING  to use tessellation on the model AKA starting to sculpt in Mudbox in a meaningul way

Ok, so we went true the process, we "patched" the corrupted mesh surface, lets start to work...

Well.... but we can not! Becouse Mudbox generated a bit more mesh errors with the "patch" command than we had befor.

1) Why modbox generates mesh errors by it's own patch process? Lets be honest, it's a math challange to make it! Basicaly it can generate as many faces as it wants to and even like that, it can find out a structure that holds a bunch of errors !?

2) why we have to struggle with these errors? An auto retopo should handle it by leaving the structure as it is (and maybe offering 2-3 subdiv lvl)

3) there are errors that I'm not interested in till I scult.. they are errors in the stage when it's about UV'ing, painting, but I of course will generate by hand my UV/UVs befor painting.

Can we expect a patch/new version due to these issues? 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RGhost77
in reply to: Anonymous

Pretty good error fixer in Meshmixer , would be nice to have it in Mudbox. I like in MM colored "pins" which show where and what of error in mesh. In Mudbox we have only red selection of errors 😞

I think would good to post this "idea" in Ideas forum...

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: RGhost77

I know and heard about Meshmixer, but I never used it. Do Meshmixer auto corrects the errors that Mudbox can not accept for starting a tessalated sculpting workflow, or a retopo command, (or basicaly anything) ?

My main issue, that I do not wanna mess with such errors in the organic sculpting stage - when the high poly organic sculpting is done, I will retopo it in Maya anyway and project the high poly surface on the subdivided retopoed mesh for painting / animation (or even just to finish the organic sculting workflow in a clean way) 

My second issue: Why Mudbox generates mesh errors by using the patch command? : ) (thats basicaly surreal)

edit: oh as I see Meshmixer is free! In this case it could be a good option vs Zbrush that also can do a high poly retopo that I can use in Mudbox, but well, Zbrush would be an expensive "app" just to find a workaround due to the mesh errors that Mudbox do not accept / can not handle : )

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report