MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stored pose isn't actual pose

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Kenneth_Greenblatt
202 Views, 3 Replies

Stored pose isn't actual pose

Take 1 - Store a pose.
Take 2 - paste pose. Thumb isn't the same.

Go back to take 1, go to frame. Double click stored pose on the frame it was stored from. Thumb jumps to incorrect position. I even created geometry, aligned the three cubes to each thumb segment, went to the new take, aligned the segments, still incorrect. double checked values multiple times, they are exactly the same. There are no rot limits placed on the ctrl rig. I am at a complete loss here. How is it I store a pose, then paste the pose on the same frame and the thumb jumps? IK effector is off, there's no pinning, I don't understand. This is blocking me. 

edit: It's only on the left thumb, and it's every pose I've stored. Every time I use the poses I've stored on the left hand the thumb jumps with some strange offset. Even if I store a new pose or refresh the pose

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

It sounds like there might be an issue with the pose data or the way it’s being applied to the left thumb. Here are a few things to check:

1. Pose Data Corruption: Verify if the pose data is being stored correctly. Try storing a different pose or create a new pose to see if the issue persists.

2. Pose Application: Ensure that there are no hidden constraints or settings affecting the pose application. Check if any pose blending or additional controls are inadvertently altering the thumb’s position.

3. Rigging and Weighting: Confirm that the thumb’s rigging and skin weighting are consistent and properly set up. Sometimes, discrepancies in weights or rig configuration can cause such issues.

4. Update and Refresh: Refresh or reset the rig to ensure that no residual data is causing the issue. Try re-importing or re-creating the pose if necessary.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, consider seeking help from a rigging expert or consulting the software’s support resources for more specific troubleshooting.

Message 3 of 4

Maybe you have that issue with broken translations of FK joints (different than in stance pose).
In such case when you paste the pose it updates them to proper values, but setting key in FullBody doesn't set key on Translations of FK joints of Control Rig (only rotations), so it goes back after changing time or take.

In such case I try reseting Translations of FK part of the Control Rig:

1. Select all FK controls - in Navigator right click on Hips and choose Select Branches from menu
  2. Go to FCurve Editor
  3. Select x,y,z Translation channels
  4. Remove all curve keys from those Translation channels in FCurve editor. Do it on all existing Layers
  5. Set FullBody mode in ControlRig panel and then click on StancePose button to pose character in Stance pose
  6. (optional) Set a key on 0 frame on BaseAnimation layer but only on selected Translation channels

This should be done on all takes that you want to paste poses.

If you have this issue, then after those steps, pasting the pose should work stable.

Message 4 of 4

Unfortunately I had to move on from that shot and to solve the issue (at the time) I did an override in Story with a sub-track, brute forcing the pose of the thumb from one take onto another. However, after the shot was completed I did a bit of digging with fresh eyes and I do believe that I arrived at a similar conclusion- the FK joints had translate keys on them.  

I won't bore you to death with the details, but suffice it to say you hit the nail on the head. Hopefully I never end up changing and keying translate keys on FK joints again, but your explanation and fix is very thorough and well written. Really, I appreciate the time you took to break this down and supply a well crafted step-by-step fix for this. Thank you so much for your help and your time. Sincerely. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report