MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layer pose pasting isues

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
petecmartin
486 Views, 5 Replies

layer pose pasting isues

Hi, 
I've stored out some arm/finger poses to a .json file and I read them back into Motionbuilder through my tool (effectively pasting the pose).
If it's on th ebase layer the pose pastes fine, but if it's on any other layer it's all screwed up...I must be missing something....

I'm using 

limbRotx.KeyAdd(FBTime(0,0,0,CurrentFrame), xRot)

limbRoty.KeyAdd(FBTime(0,0,0,CurrentFrame), yRot)

limbRotz.KeyAdd(FBTime(0,0,0,CurrentFrame), zRot)

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
damian.pajda
in reply to: petecmartin

Layers are usually additive, so when you do KeyAdd you should recalculate stored transform as additive or maybe try setting global transform and then set key on layer by i.e. FBPlayerControl().Key(). I'm not sure about exact solution, but I think this should help 🙂

Message 3 of 6
petecmartin
in reply to: damian.pajda

That makes sense.  I'll look into re-calculating for additive..Sounds an awful lot like maths to me...not my strong point 🙂

Message 4 of 6
petecmartin
in reply to: damian.pajda

@damian.pajda I did some tests and it looks like you were right!  Switching to global and keting via the player control gets around it 😁

Message 5 of 6
lee.dunham
in reply to: petecmartin

Bear in mind applying in global means you need to ensure you're applying in the correct evaluation order, and you'll likely need to consider the behaviour of full body mode.

If you want your poses to preserve animLayers they were created with, global won't do that. In that case, with the correct animlayer selected, you can apply the local value on the model and key using FBPlayerControl.

That said, if global is doing everything you need right now, stick with that as it's pretty easy to manage.
Message 6 of 6
petecmartin
in reply to: lee.dunham

@lee.dunham it does seem to be working fine.

The only time it won't is if i decide to do mirrored poses for the characters arm...

Just out of curiosity... is there a way/calculation to properly mirror an arm pose?  Based on the global transforms I've stored? Like the in-built pose tool does?  I know it's reinventing the wheel, but my thirst for knowledge is unquenchable!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report