MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you render without the grid in MotionBuilder 2017?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
crystalkaulbars
2472 Views, 8 Replies

How do you render without the grid in MotionBuilder 2017?

Hi,

Just learning MotionBuilder and wanting to render without the grid showing up in my .jpg and/or my .avi, but I can't find the control that will allow me to hide the grid.  

Thought it might be like 3ds Max and just toggle the grid on/off with 'G' but not so for MotionBuilder.

Is there a render setting that would allow me to produce a model only, no grid .jpg or .avi?  Do I need to add 3D assets such as a plane for the model to stand on / move across to hide the grid or?

**Also...why do the Autodesk Character Generator characters eyes turn black when I import them into MotionBuilder?  The current character that I've named Bette D. was selected to have bright blue eyes but when I imported her they turned completely black and we're talking pupils, coloration and where the whites should be, ends up looking like a demon?! Weird! 

I've attached the picture so you can see her with the grid I wish to eradicate and the demon black eyes I'd like to change to the selected blue eyes.

Thank you for all the help you've all given me over this past year while I'm in school.  I hope someday to repay the kindness to others once I learn enough to help too.  Hopefully one of you will be able to help me this time too.

Sincerely,

Crystal

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
phscatena
in reply to: crystalkaulbars

Hello,

On the grid situation, the options are under the camera. Select your camera on the navigator and you should find it quite easily.

crystalkaulbars_grid.png

I don't think there is a keyboard shortcut to it, although you could set one via scripts (let me know if you'd like to learn about that, to achieve something just like Ctrl-A lets you hide the skeleton/rig)

About the demonic eyes, I honestly can't tell. I only used the Character Generator once in my life and this issue didn't happen.

Until someone here has a more accurate answer, I'd try:

-Double checking it the eyes are single meshes or if there is a cornea model on top of it. Some models come with a transparent cornea and MoBu might just display an opaque material. If so, you can hide such extra models (shift-H);

-Going to the eye mesh on the navigator and checking its material (it appears as children of the node). If something got lost in the way, you could even drag your texture file (probably generated inside a "<filename>.fbm" folder if you downloaded an .fbx file) directly over the mesh in the viewport and attach the new (hopefully correct) texture to the material.

These suggestions might not help in your case, but one can try 🙂

Message 3 of 9
crystalkaulbars
in reply to: phscatena

Thank you so much, phscatena,

Can you also take a look at my class project?  I did all the steps to make my character speak the movie audio clip for the assignment, but her mouth doesn't move?  I've probably done some newbie / rookie mistake.  I've attached it in a zip file

Sincerely,

Crystal

Message 4 of 9
phscatena
in reply to: crystalkaulbars

Hey, glad to know it helped!

I opened the scene (the black eyes were indeed caused by extra models, huh..). I have no familiarity whatsoever with using the voice device.

However, when I first opened your scene, it played (blendshapes were moving). After the audio reached its end, it didn't anymore. This seemed odd, so after testing some properties, I selected the audio file (under Devices > Voice), and going to its properties (Properties tab) I changed "AccessMode" from Disk to Memory. Then it seemed to work.

Was that your problem? Or was if about the teeth not moving? Because for that you'd have to figure a way for the device to control the shapes of the "m_TeethDown" geometry.

Good luck on this assignment of yours 🙂

Message 5 of 9
crystalkaulbars
in reply to: phscatena

Thank you!! This is invaluable for my assignments due for final this weekend!! I'll come back next week to post here so you're able to see how you helped! 🙂

Sincerely,

Crystal

Message 6 of 9

Hi Crystal and phscatena,

I came across your discussion because I have the same problem with black eyes after importing my character from Character Generator to Motionbuilder. @crystalkaulbars was it the extra cornea model on top of the eyes as @phscatena suggested? Or did you find another solution? I thought it might be a false lighting in the scene but even a bright frontal spotlight did not help, so I would be happy to hear about your solution.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Carola

Message 7 of 9

Good morning, Carola,

Yes, it was the suggestion that @phscatena provided

But tbh I'm really into Blender these days. Currently poised to graduate with an AAS in 2D/3D for Film, Television & New Media. We primarily use Blender (it's a free 3D modeling & more software engine) along with Adobe CC, Z-Brush and Substance Painter. It's good to know as much as possible though, so you're ready for all kinds of projects (Blender, 3ds Max, Maya, Cinema 4D, etc.).

You're doing the right thing though, going to the forums, it's the best place to find nice people with the knowledge, skills and abilities to help you find the answers you need. 

Hope that helps, and I hope you have a terrific day! 🙂

Best Wishes,

Crystal

Message 8 of 9

Thanks so much for your reply and thank you both @crystalkaulbars and @phscatena for your comments - it worked out for ma as well, I removed the cornea models in the model hierarchy and now my character has eyes! 🙂

And thanks for the hint to Blender, maybe I'll try this if Motionbuilder will not work our for my project.

Have a very great day as well!

Best regards,

Carola

Message 9 of 9

Yay!!  I'm so glad everything worked out for you, @carola.blochA8WTM

Happy modeling!! 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report