Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volumetric shrinkage result has negative value

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Sanjay_paul
2018 Views, 9 Replies

Volumetric shrinkage result has negative value

Hello everyone,

In the below picture there showing negative volumetric shrinkage on some areas. What does this mean?

Volumetric shrinkage 1.PNG

Regards

Sanjay Paul

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bernor_mf
in reply to: Sanjay_paul

Hi Sanjay,

Negative volumetric values indicate expansion rather than shrinkage.

Negative volumetric shrinkage means expansion : the material does not shrink, rather expand.

If you see this,area of the part is overpacked - in filling phase and/or in packing phase.

Negative volumetric shrinkage in features like ribs, bosses etc means higher risk of getting stuck in mold, and cause ejection problems.

Regards,

Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)
Message 3 of 10
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: bernor_mf

Hello,

That means the packing pressure is greater than required. I have set 60% of fill pressure as packing pressure. How much packing pressure do you recommend for running an analysis? How much should I reduce?

Regards

Sanjay Paul

Message 4 of 10
mppkumar

Hi @Sanjay_paul

It's not only packing pressure ... packing time also matters

generally on the thinner regions like ribs it may be there (it's best practice to avoid it)

in your case, the negative volumetric shrinkage values is very close to zero, this can be neglected 

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution"
Message 5 of 10
madhukeshwart

@Sanjay_paul

Negative volumetric shrinkages means the part will actually expand on removal from the mold.

This effect occurs if there is residual pressure inside the part at the end of the molding cycle.

Typically negative volumetric shrinkages are associated with excessive packing pressure.

Refer 

1. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/moldflow-insight-forum/negative-volumetric-shrinkage/td-p/4754459

2. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/moldflow-insight-forum/negative-value-for-volumetric-shrinkage/td-p/34...

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

@Sanjay_paul normally negative volumetric shrinkage indicates that you are over packing the part. this negative Volumetric will help you understand that you are giving excessive packing pressure or over packing the part. with that you can easily optimize the required packing pressure which this part actually needs.

Message 7 of 10
Sanjay_paul

Thanks everyone for your comments. It was really helpful.

Regards

Paul

Message 8 of 10
ktr.mech

Could you please tell me the solution of negative volumetric shrinkage , 

what we are going to do ?

Message 9 of 10
bernor_mf
in reply to: ktr.mech

Hi,

negative volumetric shrinkage means significant over packing.

Review your packing pressure level and time.

Adjust and profile the packing in time and pressure level for a more uniform volumetric shrinkage.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Berndt

( If my comments are accepted, provide "Kudos" as appreciation. If your request is answered/resolved, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thanks.)
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Good Morning, I am currently having an issue with 3mm of Negative Volumetric Shrinkage in the X direction and 1.8mm of Positive Volumetric Shrinkage in the Y direction on the actual parts.  Mold flow indicates the Negative shrinkage almost spot on and indicates only .5mm of Positive shrinkage. Any help or advice with correcting this would be greatly appreciated. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report