Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won’t open import files

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2317 Views, 9 Replies

Won’t open import files

I recently updated my MacBook and now when I open mesh mixer and try to import a file, mesh mixer crashes and says “file read error”.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you load a default object (e.g. the bunny from the start screen)?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

I can’t load the bunny 

Message 4 of 10
MagWeb

Which macOS version did you update to?

I know about Apple deprecated OpenGL (which is used by MM) in favour of Metal... 

The Bunny is in OBJ format. Did you try different formats as STL or MIX? Did you try loading from a different location but Documents (e.g. the Desktop)?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.4. I have also tried losing in STLs but they won’t load as well.

Message 6 of 10
MagWeb

I would try to remove MM PLUS all related files from your System (AppCleaner application might help) PLUS meshmixer.ini (at " ~/.config/Autodesk/meshmixer.ini ") and to do a fresh installation.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

So I used an App cleaner as I also removed all files related to MM, I re-installed MM and I kept getting the same message pop up. I will attach a screen shot of it.

Message 8 of 10
MagWeb

So it's a library folder read error not a file read error.

Check if there's a "meshmixer" folder in Documents containing a "libraries" folder which contains four further folders....

If it exists check whether the new update added some restriction to access (read/write) Documents. Maybe you're using FileFault to protect your documents?

Try this while Meshixer is down: Move the meshmixer folder from Documents to some location (maybe you try the Desktop) where no such access restriction exists.

Now start MM. It should pop up a dialog saying that the meshmixer directory could not be found. Use the Redirect button in this dialog to browse to the new location and choose the meshmixer folder.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you so much for your help! It now works!

Message 10 of 10
u.ucler

A simple fix for me, was to give Meshmixer access to my Documents folder.

I did that by opening System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > select Files and Folders (in left column)  > scroll down to Meshmixer (in the right column) > activate Documents and Folder > restart Meshmixer

That fixed my issue and I can now import OBJ and STL files again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report