Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to remix and emboss existing STL - blue lines seem to be preventing this

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4341 Views, 4 Replies

Trying to remix and emboss existing STL - blue lines seem to be preventing this

I'm sure I'm missing something dumb.  STLs generated from here: https://touchterrain.geol.iastate.edu/

I've had 3 work as expected by remixing the needed side and inlaying the text by following this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt6grv2AeY

However, I have one STL that has blue vertical lines.  No matter what I do I cannot seem to get it to remix and allow proper inlay of text.  I've even re-created it multiple times from said site. 

I'm essentially trying to make something like this for my father: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:226414

I'm attached a screenshot of what I'm dealing with, any help would be appreciated!  I'll admit I'm a super-noob to 3d design.

Thanks,

Dan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hfcandrew
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe those blue lines are open boundaries. Gaps/holes/cracks in the mesh. It is not 'water tight'.

Try:

A) Edit>Close Cracks

or B) Analyze>Inspector>Auto Repair All

or C) Edit>Separate Shells, Delete the noisy shells, Analyze>Inspector>Auto Repair All

or D) Edit > Make Solid

Or any combinations of the above.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: hfcandrew

Thanks for the ideas!  Just tried them all:

A) Appears to have done nothing.

B) Jacked the model all up.  See pic.

C) Crashed Meshmixer

D) Jacked up the model.  See pic.  

I went ahead and attached the STL.  Guess I can't attach an STL.    I'm not looking for someone to fix it though, I really want to understand what needs done so I can deal with it myself going forward.  Thanks!!!

Message 4 of 5
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried several files from that source.

It's hard to repair these cracks in MM.

The most promising way is 😧 MakeSolid. Here it worked for all source files I tried.

Maybe you need to set a higher SolidAccuracy and MeshDensity.

----

Basically a STL file is a soup of loose triangles. They get welded to a mesh on import in a certain application. To do this two triangles to be welded on a common edge need to come with the very same vertex coordinates on the common vertices.

E.g.: If there's a triangle A>B>C and a triangle B>C>D both are welded on the edge B>C.

Now if there's a small error and there is A>B>C and (B+some error)>(C+some error)>D you can't weld both triangles any more (as "+some error" means you have a different point).

The easiest free way I know to fix this is to use Meshlab

-Load the source file

-Run Filters>CleaningAndRepairing>MergeCloseVertices and hit Apply in the filter dialog (defaults should work. The dialog stays open after applying-don't worry). 

-Export the result

MM should not show any cracks loading that result (hopefully).

-----

To upload a STL mesh here: Post a zipped file

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Really appreciate the detailed explanation, that helps me understand.  Your suggestion of using Meshlab worked perfectly.  Thanks so much for your assistance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report