Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling bottom of photogrammetry model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1052 Views, 5 Replies

Filling bottom of photogrammetry model

Hello,

I made a photogrammetry scan of a sculpture to make into a photo-realistic 3D model.

I could not photograph the bottom of the sculpture, and Metashape's function to "fill hole" is pretty limited (it fills it with a pinkish color, and I can't modify it).

I am not a 3D person, so am new to this, but I am trying to fill the bottom of my textured model with some sort of solid with a color that is a bit more expected and / or that I can set.

Would someone be kind to guide me? I tried a few solutions I found around here, but that did not work out. (I tried for example the extrude / plane cut solution I read about, but this cut my model in half...)

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hfcandrew
in reply to: Anonymous

Photogrammetry tend to produce lots of noise, so even model is very very different. but try Analysis>Inspector.

If that doesn't do it, zip and post the .stl

Message 3 of 6
MagWeb

@PlaneCut: You can set the position of the cut dragging the manipulators in the widget. BUT: On a textured mesh PlaneCut does NOT generate a texture for the infill.

Inspector's hole filling instead generates a texture for the infills. It interpolates (there's no control on this process) the texture information (color) on the boundary faces and creates a new image for such regions besides the original texture. Means the exported OBJ ships with two (ore more) texture images. Such multiple textures are not allowed in many third party apps. So make sure that your apps (you intend to use later on) support multiple texture images.

If you say that Metashape fills the holes with a pink color:  You might simply use a 2D image processing application to open the texture image, to apply a mask by that pink color and modify that color only. If you save that modified image and open the OBJ (linked to the texture by the .mtl) in some 3D viewer the former holes should show the new colors.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: hfcandrew

Thanks! This kind of works. it filled the bottom with a solid color sampled from the neighboring borders. I need to play with it more to make it uniform (right now there are some spot with remaining small holes or polygons).

Definitely headed in the right direction! Thank you!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks for the explanation. Would I export the texture as UV to bring it in a 2D software? Sounds like this solution could provide more degree of control...?

Message 6 of 6
MagWeb

You'll get a OBJ with UV coordinates, a .mtl which defines two materials (pointing to the original texture image and generated image) plus two UV map images (the original texture image and generated image).

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report