Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White dots on rendered image

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1345 Views, 8 Replies

White dots on rendered image

Hi all, recently created this model and I used Mental Ray mi_car_paint_phen for the black part. Anyone know why all these white spots appear on the black areas?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jarmon14
in reply to: Anonymous

i think that these are just reflecting polygons. Are you sure you don't have any issue with faces there?

Message 3 of 9
mspeer
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jarmon14

Hi thanks for your reply! Im sure there arent any hidden faces but I did make the mistake of not modelling it in quads. Like if you turn on sub-div proxy its all in mess of funny shapes. Could that be a possible cause?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi thanks for your reply! Is there any way to change the flakes? in the render settings or something? Sorry im still very new to this software.

Message 6 of 9
mspeer

Hi!

Again here is the link, there is all you need (also "flake_scale"):

http://docs.autodesk.com/MENTALRAY/2012/ENU/mental%20ray%203.9%20Help/files/shaders/paint/paint.html...

This is about a material, you find the attributes in the settings of the material.

Message 7 of 9
damaggio

Also remember to save your images with File>Save image>save color managed images.....your render is too dark because of color management features and when using car paint material, they are supposed to only go on the actual painted areas, not the bumper or any plastic looking part of the car, that includes the rubber parts as well , use standard Mia X material for those other areas, there are presets built there for you.....and try to render the car with an IBL not with the physical sun and sky.

Cars need something to reflect, like surrounding architecture or at least clouds in the sky, the physical sun will give you uninteresting render results.

Lots to learn....Happy renderings.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

ohhh ok. thanks alot! I'll look into it :))

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

Haha oops. Guess all my amateur mistakes are spotted 😛 yes I still have alot to learn. Still very new. Thanks and will try to create some background and image based lighting. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report