Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visible Polygon Faces When Rendering

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
andrewjtravis905
408 Views, 3 Replies

Visible Polygon Faces When Rendering

Hi! I'm currently creating a product overview video and am struggling to fix an issue. Unfortunately, the faces of my model are visible in the specular hightlight - the denser the mesh the more edge loops are visible (see screenshots). This is a product video where detail is crucial, so I can't smooth shade.

A little background: I decimated the original Step file in Blender and imported the FBX into Maya (the 3D software I'm most comfortable using). I tried Retopologize to no avail (perhaps because it's all hard edges?), and instead used quandrangulate to decrease the poly count while retaining all the details.

Any idea what's causing this artifact and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Are the normals unlocked? Softened all edges?

Is there a normalmap on the mesh?

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply @Christoph_Schaedl. The lines are gone after switching to Arnold lights. Any idea why this is?

Message 4 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: andrewjtravis905

It’s always better to use Arnold native nodes, lights , shaders etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report