Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV Mapping Changes When Exporting To Substance Painter

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
joebranch
2420 Views, 7 Replies

UV Mapping Changes When Exporting To Substance Painter

I have made a fire hydrant and UV mapped the main part seperately from the chains. I have exported from maya and textured in substance painter with no issues for most of the model. However the last two chains are not exporting correctly and I'm going insane trying to work out why.

This is the UV layout in maya for the left chain:UVs in MayaUVs in Maya

This is the result in substance painter:

substance.PNG

 I have a feeling this error message when I export is something to do with the issue. However there is no material assigned to the chain other than the default lambert material so I can't get this message to go away.

error.PNG

 If someone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
_sebastian_f
in reply to: joebranch

Do you have multiple uv-sets in maya? painter can only read one.

i come across the same warning every now and then for no obvious reason but in regards to painter it can be ignored and should not cause your issue.

on a side note: your uv´s a pretty tightly packed which can cause problems later so you might space them out a little bit. and make sure you soften your edges.

Message 3 of 8
joebranch

Thanks for your response. I only have one UV set so don't think it's that.

Thanks for the advice I'll space them out a little more! In terms of softening edges, do you mean edges on the model or on the UVs?

Message 4 of 8
joebranch
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Thanks for your response. I only have one UV set so don't think it's that.

Thanks for the advice I'll space them out a little more! In terms of softening edges, do you mean edges on the model or on the UVs?

Message 5 of 8
_sebastian_f

yes, i meant the edges on the model.

just to make sure it´s not the material assignment i would select everything and apply a new material and export again. if it doesnt help consider uploading your (zipped) maya file here and i´ll have a look.

Message 6 of 8
joebranch

Ah ok, whats the reason for softening the edges of a model?

I tried making a new standard surface material and it didn't make a difference sadly. I have attached the zipped project in case you have a moment to look!

Message 7 of 8
_sebastian_f

the reason is you get areas like this:

_sebastian_f_0-1671805878015.png

anyway looking at your maya file i can not see it there and the hard edges in painter seem to be caused by the same problem why your uv´s don´t show up correctly. left and right chain have some left over shape nodes from your cloth simulation which survived history deletion. you can see it in the attribute or node editor. e.g.

_sebastian_f_1-1671806140265.png
_sebastian_f_2-1671806179705.png

if you delete those shape nodes which are not connected to anything here you should be good to go

_sebastian_f_3-1671806275728.png

Message 8 of 8
joebranch

Aha! Thank you so much that's solved the problem! I have spent days trying to figure this out!

Thanks for all your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report