Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using AI Car Paint

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
A.osman6
1607 Views, 22 Replies

Using AI Car Paint

How can I get a shade similar to this picture using ai car paint?

Aosman6_0-1651073347344.png

Thanks in advance. 

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
mspeer
in reply to: A.osman6

Hi!

What's wrong with the default setting?

car_paint1.jpg

Make sure to create a proper geometry + environment + lighting and then if needed you still can edit the settings of the car paint shader.

Message 3 of 23
A.osman6
in reply to: mspeer

I see you've used a hdri skydome but what are the other appropriate steps that need to be done? What do you mean by environment?  Did you just click on aistandardsurface and then go on preset ai car paint and not change the values? Mine is not showing up like that after adding a hdri.

This is how mine is showing up:

And thanks for replying.

Message 4 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

I used the default aiCarPaint shader, but it's the same as the aiStandardSurface with the "Car_Paint" preset.

(I just reduced the saturation of the red color a bit).

"What do you mean by environment?"

- The look of objects with reflective materials highly depends on the reflection, which is dependent on the environment (everything that will be reflected).

Based on your image I guess the main problem is your object. It looks like a low poly object with just flat faces (no roundings and smooth corners). The second problem could be the HDRI itself, but that's hard to tell based on the provided screenshot.

For further help, please provide a Maya scene-file and the HDRI.

Message 5 of 23
A.osman6

I will come back to this because I want to improve on my model is that alright?
Message 6 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

That's OK.

Please provide a scene-file, so I can check the model.

A screenshot showing the wireframe could help, but with the scene I can directly show you how you can improve your model.

Message 7 of 23
A.osman6

Here is my up to date scene. I have been trying to add more details to model. Thank you.

Message 8 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

Here your current mode rendered with the Arnold car paint shader.

carp1.jpg

I recommend to model all parts so they work with subdivisions  / Smooth Mesh Preview like polySurface9 which provides smooth edges and corners.

You can also try a different HDRI, but at least it does not look like a problem of the car pain shader or the related presets in aiStandardSurface.

Message 9 of 23
A.osman6

Sorry can you clarify about the subdivision? 

Message 10 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

Please check the Maya online help for further information about Smooth Mesh Preview.

There are also many online tutorials free available in the web about subdivision surface modeling.

Message 11 of 23
A.osman6

Hello, I wanted to ask what did you do to lower the saturation? 

Message 12 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

What saturation do you mean?

I have chosen a simple red color (maybe 93-95% saturation) and added one SkyDomeLight + texture that's all.

Your provided scene did not include a light and there was also no HDRI provided, so I couldn't check this, it's possible that there is something wrong with your settings too or maybe even a problem with the image texture itself.

Please provide a new file that also shows the lighting you are using and I will check it.

Message 13 of 23
A.osman6

Alright here is the scene I am working on right now. I am trying to achieve similar results to the image you provided. Thank you.

Message 14 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

Thanks for the new file, but the image texture file is still missing.

However based on the image name in the Maya scene you are using a JPG image, so you are using a LDR image and not a HDR image.

Please make sure to use a .exr or .hdr image that has a wider dynamic range,

or create a different light setup with multiple other different light types like some area lights.

Message 15 of 23
A.osman6

My bad I have added a exr file instead. I wanted to show you the exr file I am using but it is not supported here. I got the exr from here: https://www.textures.com/download/HDRPanoramas0067/133977 

I downloaded the first column on the second second row.

Aosman6_1-1652526847400.png

Can you try again? Thank you.

Message 16 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

Thanks, but I can't download the texture, this requires an account.

Please ZIP the file before upload. You can also upload the file anywhere else(no login should be required) and send me a download link in a private message.

(The settings for an .exr file in the Maya scene seem to be correct.)

Message 17 of 23
A.osman6

I cannot attach a zip folder of the project here, as it is too large. You can access it from this link if that is okay: https://filebin.net/2mbojh7kmejuhnhz

Thank you.

Message 18 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

Thanks, now I understand the problem.

There are multiple settings that I recommend to test with lower values:

1. aiSkyDomeLightShape > Exposure

2. aiCarPaint1 > Weight

3. aiCarPaint1 > Color (click on the color preview field and then edit S-aturation and V-alue)

The EXR texture is very bright by default and for the car paint shader please check all available Presets to get an idea how this works with different settings.

Message 19 of 23
A.osman6

Hey thanks for the reply. 

I have got it to this:

Aosman6_1-1652553154661.png

Any thoughts on how to get it exacly like yours or the first image I posted?

Here is what I have changed:

Aosman6_2-1652553212104.png

Aosman6_3-1652553243369.png

Aosman6_4-1652553259044.png

Message 20 of 23
mspeer

Hi!

For the S-aturation I had chosen a value below 0.95.

Because of the reflections the look depends to 50% on the environment + lighting + camera angle.

So without the same EXR file you can't achieve the same look.

Also your model is based on many "flat" faces, you need much more curves for an interesting and realistic look.

Here a screenshot showing the difference between 2 objects (flat vs curved/rounded) + different camera angles.

carpaint1.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report