Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Arnold Shader with Decal Texture

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2278 Views, 5 Replies

Single Arnold Shader with Decal Texture

I've looked through the forums but none of the solutions listed work for me. This would seem to be a VERY simple thing to do - but for some reason Arnold can't do it.

I need to have a glass-shader (for which I'm using aiStandardSurface) and have a decal layered on top of it.

I have turned off opacity on the object.

1) The aiMix shader does not work

2) The Layered shader does not work

3) Using Coat in the aiStandardSurface doe snot work

Is there not a way of achieving this very simple, essential thing in Arnold?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

I tried several options here and all of them worked, also aiMixShader, Coat and directly adding the color to Base Color and controlling Transmission with the alpha channel.

Please upload a scene-file (where you try any option) to be checked.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it. Certainly it's possible I am doing something wrong?

1) The aiMixShader does not correctly reproduce the frosted glass

2) I may have not plugged the coat shader in correctly but it works as a multiply (the frosted glass works here)

3) The layeredShader does not correctly reproduce the frosted glass

I've laid this out as clearly as I can.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dwFNYYZffmHyLQNUJG1xq9oGAT276SDH/view?usp=sharing

Message 4 of 6
darioOrtisi

test_glass_decals.jpgHi. I set the correct settings on your same scene. Look at the scene i've attached.

Ciao

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: darioOrtisi

that's great! thanks very much! 😀

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

if anyone [finds this and] needs to get this working - the trick with the aiMix and aiLayeredShader is to plug a black and white bitmap matte into the top [second] layer's mix

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report