Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render sequence crashes Maya every time

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
hectorthiel
3521 Views, 11 Replies

Render sequence crashes Maya every time

So I need to render some stuff and using the render sequence sequence feature crashes maya every time without giving an error. I've had this issue for a week.

The problem at first was that maya wouldn't even render the first frame (I can render single frames with no problem). I did some research and couldn't find anything, but after reinstalling Maya AND deleting the prefs folder I tested the render sequence and it seemed to work (I rendered only a couple of frames and assumed I had fixed the issue). At this point I had already rendered my animation one frame at a time the night before.

I needed to render a different scene yesterday so I opened Maya, made sure all the settings were right and hit render sequence. I made sure that it didn't crash for the first couple of frames and after I left it running to finish on its own. When I came back hours later guess what happened? If you guessed that it only rendered a couple of frames and then it crashed as soon as I left you'd be correct. The foolishness and agony I felt after coming home to find that Maya had once again let me down is indescribable. So here I am rendering frame by frame again as Maya judges me for the sins of my father and the ones before him. I posting this because I am gonna need to render another scene soon and I wanna find a fix to this. 

Potentially important notes:

-I'm using Maya 2022.3 and arnold 7

-It crashes without giving an error, maya just closes

-I'm using my gpu to render (rtx 2070 super) 

-I've already cleaned up the scene as much as I could to optimize render times (I'm down to 30 secs a frame) only 5 AA samples with a denoiseroptix imager 

-I've followed step-by-step all the rendering sequence tutorials I've found so I don't think the issue is me missing a step

-My scene is only a character turn table with a sky dome and one extra light (The character is rigged but I'm sure that doesn't really matter)

-Autodetect threads and abort on error are both off

-Maya seems to think I'm an explorer the way it keeps giving me fun little errors to discover every day, for most of them I'm fortunate enough to be the first one in history to encounter and most times I can't continue working without solving them

-I think Maya is for some reason not using my CPU, I think it's actually feeding on my stress and lack of joy in life. I don't know if this is a new feature that they implemented in the latest update, not a big fan

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mraphael2
in reply to: hectorthiel

I got the same issue. It renders the first frame (EXR format) and crashes immediately. Not using GPU renders, but regular CPU renders and an improved / modified version of ACES OCIO. Batch render will work, but it'll leave the famous "Arnold" watermark on my renders.  

Message 3 of 12

Same here... exaaaactlyy same !!! I thought I must have lost my mind to render single single frame in IPR and save image manually.... upto 480 frames for 3 days...( I had my submissions so had to do that) Every night I slept thinking about the hours I wasted while sequence could have rendered completely..but it just stops and close downs always.

Message 4 of 12
chart2

Me too.  Exactly.  Did all the same fixes, and got it up to two hours of rendering.  On two computers they crash at the same moment.  As far as I see it has something to do with cache filling but which?  I keep it in wireframe, but with sequencing one has to keep the file open.  What what does appear is the image that is being rendered in the tiny sequence renderer itself.  One has to restart maya to get it to render again, so a cache is being emptied.  It just started happening.  A month ago it was fine on 2020, and 2022. Then they died so I re-installed with 23 and it went to 2-3 hours before timing out and shutting down.

Message 5 of 12
thekuzicartoon
in reply to: chart2

I am on maya 2023.2 using Arnold running via CPU. Have rendered things in past including this scene, but now just crash after crash.
By shear luck, I think the BG layer rendered during the night. But now trying to render the FG, will crash either immediately or part way thru the render (and not very far I might add).
I have cleaned my C drive, have no other programs running, have restarted my computer, have shut down my computer, have shutdown and waited to restart.
Has ANYONE found a solution for this annoying glitch?

Message 6 of 12
kris7TY9H

Disabling 'Abort on error' under the diagnostics tab fixed this issue for me. 😊

Message 7 of 12
nithinpeths
in reply to: kris7TY9H

This helped thanks! 

Message 8 of 12

I have the same issue. I get 5 frames in every time and then immediate crash. Let me know if you guys find a fix, as the Abort on error idea didn't work for me.

Message 9 of 12
the8jedi
in reply to: ryan_andrews443

Same problem here! I get about 10 frames in whether I render with GPU or CPU and it just crashes without any notice or error that pops up. I've scoured the internet for any kind of answer and have come up with nothing yet 😕

Message 10 of 12
clifton_peddy

I see a lot of people having the same frustrating problem, including myself, but I see not solutions. Why??? I am sick and tired of not being able to do my work because Maya keeps crashing. Where's the answers?

Message 11 of 12
damaggio
in reply to: clifton_peddy

No one provided a Render log  a crash report nor a scene file for troubleshooting.

Maya + Arnold versions and OS specs.

Message 12 of 12
chart2
in reply to: clifton_peddy

We have to buy arnold license. that works. and one month at a time.
so when i render i use it for a month or two, then put it on hold!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report