Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Maya iff in Photoshop and After Effects

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1542 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with Maya iff in Photoshop and After Effects

Hello AREA-community,
I'm doing my BA project (Autodesk Maya 2011, short animated movie, Germany) and I have problems with Maya iff
in Adobe Photoshop and After Effects.
After Effects opens the rendered iff-images just fine, but it cannot open the depth cannel iffs.
I created a new render pass(camera depth) in the Maya render settings. For example fcheck displayed the images but
when I try to import them in After Effects, it says: "After Effects Error: t he file format could not parse the file. 45 :: 35".
My idea was to open the iff files in Photoshop an make an action which automatically saves the files as TIFF, but Photoshop won't
open the Maya iff images either.

The time is running against me and I have to deliver the BA project in four weeks - I really hope you can help me!
If you haven't noticed by now: I'm no professional in Maya (just getting started). I would really appreciate your advice!

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
whisper1
in reply to: Anonymous

Is there a reason you can't use jpg files?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

You'll need the iff plugin for photoshop that can distinguish between amiga iff and maya iff. It's supposed to be on the installation CD/DVD.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I read about the iff plugin and in my Photoshop Plugin-Folder is already an iff-plugin.
But I have tried an other way and rendered tiff images as depth-channel. This is working and I hope it will last 🙂

Why jpg? Can I render depth channels as jpg?

Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I have no idea how you intend to use the depth files, but you'll probably want to make sure you use a format that supports 32-bit depth.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I intend to use them for postproduction in After Effects (Lens Blur). So I need a file format that is supported by Adobe and as I said before, Maya's IFF isn't working 😞
But my solution with TIFF is working so I think I will stick to that.

Thank you!
Message 7 of 7
n8skow

Can you post one of these .iff files that Photoshop/AfterEffects is refusing to load?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report