Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override a Shader's File Texture but Leave Bump the Same

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
andymc4997
1198 Views, 7 Replies

Override a Shader's File Texture but Leave Bump the Same

Hi everyone, 

For some reason i can't seem to figure this one out, and I'm sure it's right under my nose.. 

How can I add an override in Render Setup for an object's file texture, but keep the file connected to Bump Mapping the same? 

Right now, whenever override the object's texture, that also becomes the bump. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

An

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
_sebastian_f
in reply to: andymc4997

create layer, create collection.
add objetc(s) to collection. add the shader in question to that collection or create a new one for it if you want.
select the collection and in the render setup´s property editor mmb drag the shaders color attribute in the "add override area". make sure it´s set to absolute. select the absolute override layer and change the color or connect a texture.
Message 3 of 8
andymc4997
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Thanks for your quick reply @_sebastian_f. That seemed to work, in the viewport anyway. However, the textures will not render with Arnold. 

Here are my two test layers, with the same bump but different textures:

andymc4997_0-1601559973829.pngandymc4997_1-1601559990470.png

In the Arnold IPR and the regular Render View, they both render like this:

andymc4997_2-1601560082931.png

It's as if Arnold doesn't "see" the textures somehow. 

Ideas?

Message 4 of 8
andymc4997

I threw a third texture onto the default layer, and as you can see it renders fine. 

andymc4997_0-1601560314613.png

Here is a shot of my render setup. I can of course upload the scene file if you need. 

andymc4997_1-1601560374592.png

Thanks again. 

Message 5 of 8
_sebastian_f

ups!
sorry i actually didnt try to render. was just assuming that it works as well when the viewport shows it.
but you can get it to work. just instead of creating an absolute override, right click the collection and chose "connection override". drag the color attribute there and it should work.
Message 6 of 8
andymc4997
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Nope, @_sebastian_f unfortunately that doesn't change the textures at all, in the viewport or render.

Message 7 of 8
andymc4997

Nevermind! It worked!

I didn't realize you needed to KEEP the absolute override, but ADD the connection override to that sub-collection like this:

andymc4997_0-1601566523350.png

Perfect. Ok, so hopefully this helps others who might be struggling with this process. 

Thanks again @_sebastian_f 

Message 8 of 8
_sebastian_f

@andymc4997  glad you got it working. but it´s strange that you need to combine both. did you delete the layer before trying the connection override? probably some connection was left in the background!

i made a quick screencast of how i think it should work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report