Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Objects distorted behind glass material

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
6144 Views, 13 Replies

Objects distorted behind glass material

Hello, 

Im currently going through the process of adding materials to my Audi R8 model however the interior has been distored by the glass material I'm using for the windscreen? How do I stop this? 

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

I would guess is your refraction settings,,, might be too high, are you using a mia x or blinn ... What is your shader?
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

I'm using mia x and I dont know what shader I've used? How can you tell? Silly question maybe but I'm fairly new at all this haha

Message 4 of 14
damaggio

Find your Mia x in the Hypershape window, there are presets there already made for you, they are great as a starting point, choose "Glass Thin" and you are done, just remember this is a shader that has under Advanced Refraction "Thin Walled" enable which does not calculate refractions , it is very useful for windows on buildings but for your car you "do" need refraction ,so choose "Solid" .

Refraction of glass is 1.500 and is already set.

Under BRDF is set to "Use Fresnel" ...if it looks okay you can leave as is but I usually adjust this value myself...somewhere around 0 degree reflection = .09 and leave always 90 degree reflection =1.0

Do your car entirely with Mias, it will look much more photo realistic.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Still no luck.. 😕 Applied the settings as you have suggested and still getting the distorted refractions? 

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Solved it! Had to add gamma correction the the base layer colour and thats seems to have done the trick 

Thanks for the help 

Message 7 of 14
damaggio

Reduce the refraction to 1.0 see the difference....also is your glass geometry that has thickness? real two sided glass? or is it just one single poly surface for the glass windows?...that could have an effect.....here's a low poly  car I did with mias, I believe I had reduced the refraction quite a bit here.

Message 8 of 14
damaggio

Explain that better, what you mean base color....are you then using Mila shaders not Mia_X shaders?

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I'm following a digital tutors tutorial and it was said that you must apply gamma correction to all materials with a base colour due to the rendering and/or lighting settings used.  I had forgot about this and to be honest wasn't sure if it would still apply as the glass is transparent. 

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

I am using the mia_material_x_passes material with the thin glass shader and gamma correction applied to the base colour under the diffuse tab

Message 11 of 14
damaggio

A glass shader is  100 % black  there's no need to apply a gamma node there ( a gamma node does nothing to a black color or a white color), now, i'm not familiar with the Mia x passes so I don't know much about that, I did the same Digital tutors course a while ago but I render everything on Camera, no passes and I only use Mia X   Aaron....I'm glad you found the problem though.

Message 12 of 14
damaggio

Yes you do need to gamma correct the other colors for the car...read more about linear workflow when you have a chance...is very important to understand.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I'll have a look into linear workflow like you said when I can. If thats the case with gamma correction I'm not too sure what I've done but for now its sorted.

The seats are there I promise haha but for some reason when I save the image from the render view it saves the image a lot darker. 

Message 14 of 14
damaggio

in the render view window Save image> save color corrected images should be on, remember you are working in 32 bit image and you can adjust the exposure value before you save the image, this is a great feature in maya.

Make sure your render view "Display" is set to 32 bit and underneath _color management and Image Color Profile Linear srgb and Display color profile Srgb.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report