Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nParticles not rendering

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
inoacris
504 Views, 5 Replies

nParticles not rendering

I can see the nParticles in the viewport, but when i go to render they dont show up, not in Maya software render, neither in arnold render.

I am using maya 2024

The content browser nParticles does not render neither.

I have tryed using default setting and uninstalling and reinstalling maya, does not work. I also tryed in my college computers but is the same problem, nothing renders.

Labels (4)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dave.cooleyVKJNJ
in reply to: inoacris

nparticles may be set to a shading option that is not compatible with Maya software. In Shading, if the (sw) is part of the name of the particle you're using (blobby surface (sw)) , Maya software render will render it.

if it doesn't have the (sw) then you will need to render it in Maya hardware render.

Message 3 of 6
inoacris
in reply to: dave.cooleyVKJNJ

It has the SW tried with every shader and nothing
Message 4 of 6
ericbarron1

I'm having the exact same issue. The particles wont render even though they are visible in the viewport. 2023 and previous versions dont have this issue. It's so frustrating! Cant find a solution anywhere online. If you have discovered the solution please let me know!

Message 5 of 6
inoacris
in reply to: ericbarron1

I havent found a solution yet
Message 6 of 6
dave.cooleyVKJNJ

I've tested out the issue you're having and can confirm this is a clear bug when trying to render nParticles using Maya Software render. I even tried using Legacy particles and had similar issues. 

I am able to render the particles, (even the ones that say "s/w") using both Arnold and Hardware render. However, I did have several Maya crashes as I tweaked variables and did single test renders (not ipr render).

One thing I did notice was the default shaders for the volume cloud was not what they used to be. Instead of using the default particleCloud shader that has existed since Maya V1 back in 1998, it created a new npPointsVolume. A shader, by the way, that gives ZERO results when searching Maya's help docs online. From what I can tell, it is using nearly 100% of the settings in the nParticle Attr. options like life color, transparency, etc. 

I also tried using the nParticles and assigning an Arnold Volume shader. This worked, and I was able to control some of the basic shader attributes, but for Clouds, the result was lacking. Blobby surface rendered very well in Arnold (CPU only) using any basic Arnold shader.

From the looks of it, since Maya's Software render is very much obsolete for good reasons, My advice would be to use Arnold or Hardware render and render in layers so you can render the rest of your scene in other ways.

I only use nParticles to create cheap water effects and convert to polygons so I can render in Arnold GPU. 

Also, keep in mind that fluids and bifrost are Maya's preferred methods for most "fancy" particle effects. They are more aligned with modern render engines like Arnold and other third party renderers. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report