Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My shader looks fine on the ball, but not on my rendered object?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
elimusic04
257 Views, 5 Replies

My shader looks fine on the ball, but not on my rendered object?

I'm having some trouble here, I'm trying to add a rusted, painted over and then scratched up look to my final project for school, but I'm getting issues with the results on my model. Everything looks fine on the shaderball but once it's applied to the model and rendered, it's like it's skipping an entire step (seems to be missing the scratches in the paint). Any help on what the issue might be here is greatly appreciated.

elimusic04_1-1691519906093.png

This is how my results look on the shaderball, this is exactly what I'm going for. Here's the setup for how I achieved it:

elimusic04_2-1691519947011.png

however when applied to the model, this is the result:

elimusic04_3-1691519980325.png

As you can see it's simply painting the helmet solid red rather than applying the scratches. I'm unsure if it's applying the rust and chrome blend beneath the paint either since it's blanketing the entire model.

So why does it work on the shader ball but not the model?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
damaggio
in reply to: elimusic04

Looks like you haven't done your UVs yet.

Message 3 of 6
elimusic04
in reply to: damaggio

I thought you didnt need to do UV's when using procedurals? Is it because I included an image as a texture map?

Message 4 of 6
elimusic04
in reply to: damaggio

That did the trick! Apparently because I included the image as a texture map, I was no longer doing procedural work and therefore needed the UV mapping. Thanks for the help!

fixed Helm.jpg

fixed Helm 2.jpg

Message 5 of 6
damaggio

Great, now remember you need proper lighting with GI and  HDR image  for everything you render, just like the shader ball.

Message 6 of 6
_sebastian_f

@elimusic04 wrote:

I thought you didnt need to do UV's when using procedurals? Is it because I included an image as a texture map?

it´s not about procedurals or not it´s about how they are applied to the mesh. if you use 3d projections only you can skip uv´s also for images otherwise you´ll need them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report