Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2023 crashes everytime it attempts to load textures when importing, opening, or referencing mb, or ma files.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Ithritable
2675 Views, 5 Replies

Maya 2023 crashes everytime it attempts to load textures when importing, opening, or referencing mb, or ma files.

I recently installed Maya 2023, and I'm having trouble getting my scenes to work in this version. They were working fine when I first used it. I was able to open files, import, and create references without any troubles. That was until after I saved a scene containing references from other scenes made in previous versions of Maya. When I opened up the file the next day, that's when disaster struck. Now it crashes everytime I open or bring in any files from previous versions of Maya; whether it be mb or ma. 

The error message that kept popping up was saying "This file contains unknown data which is preventing Maya from changing the file format. Check if unsupported plug-ins are used in the scene. Remove the unsupported data and resave."

I wasn't even able to check the script editor because Maya crashes instantaneously and the error messages won't let me click on the anything.

After looking into it a bit more. I noticed that it is able open some files, just as long as the textures aren't loaded into the scene. Only if clicking on the textures in the hypershade, pressing the 6 hotkey, or the scene already having textures on when the scene was last saved, does Maya crash.

I reinstalled the most recent version of Arnold and the mtao plugin to see if it would fix it, but to no avail. Perhaps changing some preferences might do something. I have a feeling that might be the cause of this situation, but it's just hunch and I don't want to tamper with it until I at least have more of an idea on what do. 

So any help on the matter would be more than appreciated. 

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Ithritable
in reply to: Ithritable

Well, I figured out the problem. Turns out, it has nothing to do with scenes between different versions at all, but the textures do. Only one in particular; the ramp node. Not the ramp shader node, but just a ramp node itself causes Maya 2023 to crash automatically, regardless of what version it's from. Even creating even creating one causes it to crash.
I would use a ramp shader instead, but a ramp shader node doesn't utilize the same attributes that I require from a regular ramp node. i.e., changing the ramp type to circular ramp. So unfortunately, I'll have to stick with using 2022 until this gets patched at some point.
Message 3 of 6
Reithierion

So Maya has finally become what they always said it was going to become. Completely broken and still $300 a month.

Taking a page out of Bethesdas books. Time to move to Blender.

Message 4 of 6
ian_zeigler

time to move to blender. agreed

Message 5 of 6
wpeterburg

UPDATE: For me, the problem was solved by changing the Rendering Engine under Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Display > Viewport 2.0

---

Wow. Just had the same issue. I then tried opening a new scene and applying a basic ramp texture to a simple plane. *Boink!* --goodbye Maya!

Thanks for flagging this so I at least know I'm not alone!

Message 6 of 6
reniferziolo
in reply to: wpeterburg

for posterity, changing from open gl legacy to compatibility helped

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report