Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Color Manage Arnold images to set images to a Gamma Value of 2.2

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
eyad09
1684 Views, 4 Replies

How to Color Manage Arnold images to set images to a Gamma Value of 2.2

Hi, I'm relatively new to Maya advanced Rendering. I'm currently working on a short animation clip where I'm utilizing Arnold renderer. When I set the gamma value in my Arnold render view to a value of 2.2 the coloring is precisely what I want. Since I'm using Render Sequence I understand that I must utilize color management to achieve a similar color to what a 2.2 gamma setting shows. I searched this issue and tried various things ranging from changing my light color space to raw and editing my Color Management preference settings, to changing the file format outputs and using raw instead of view transforms, etc, But nothing seems to work. If anyone knows how to utilize color management to achieve a gamma setting of 2.2?

In my project there are 4 lights, a directional light, two spot lights, and an Arnold area light.

The first photo is with a gamma value of 1.1, second sis the desired gamma 2.2, and the 3rd is just a picture of the project.

Thank you!
Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: eyad09

Hi!

Your first image already has the "correct" gamma of 2.2 applied by using the View transform "sRGB gamma".

Your second image has additional 2.2 applied (which is technical not correct).

If you want a different look for your scene you could

a) adjust the lights and shaders in the scene

b) create your own color transform

c) Do some color correction in post.

For me c) looks like the most easy and comfortable solution.

Message 3 of 5
eyad09
in reply to: mspeer

Hi!

Yes the second image is the coloring that I want for my scene. I understand that it has the extra 2.2 gamma value applied in sRGB but I do like the look of it! I tried using premiere but had no luck with the color correction attributes it has. So far seems like just fixing the lights directly is the best solution I have!

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: eyad09

Hi!

Make sure to render EXR images if you want to make drastic color changes in post.

If you render out JPG images make sure to apply at least the correct color transform, currently the uploaded scene is set to render JPG images with "RAW", this will not lead to incorrect results.

In Render Settings:

File Output -> Color Space (set to "View Transform")

Or render EXR images, then you can keep the "RAW" setting.

Message 5 of 5
eyad09
in reply to: mspeer

Hi, Thank you! making them into EXR helped a lot with color correcting it in post!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report