Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass shader not working

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2135 Views, 2 Replies

Glass shader not working

Hi, i'm having trouble getting my glass to render correctly. I'm trying to get a transparent window in a building model i'm working on and the glass window keep picking up a crazy amount of reflection when placed inside the window sill (when moved away from the window sill it appears much clearer).

As a side note (this may be the culprit?) i originally textured this model in substance painter and once I brought it back to Maya and transferred all the new textures, i need to really crank up the lights (intensity/exposure) to get them to appear in my arnold renders (see images below). Although even when I crank them down (and lose a lot of visibility in the rest of my building) the window glass still has way too much reflection going on and I can't see into building, which is my desired outcome.

I've attached some images and the project file below, hopefully one of you brilliant people can help me out!

I'm using Maya 2019.

1) window in building, can't see through glass and catching reflection of light

Screenshot 2020-12-07 144312.png

2) moved window out of window sill, more transparent but still catching light reflection quite a bit.

Screenshot 2020-12-07 144411.png

3)light setup and settings

Screenshot 2020-12-07 144523.png

Screenshot 2020-12-07 144542.png

Screenshot 2020-12-07 144604.png

4)Glass shader settings

Screenshot 2020-12-07 150635.png

Project files

Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
daunish
in reply to: Anonymous

So, you haven't unchecked the opacity flag on the glass shape node. This attribute has to be unchecked in order for Arnold to consider an object transparent. Glass shape node - Arnold - Opacity.

However, this flag has become unnecessary in the newer versions of Arnold. So if you are using a version newer than 5.3 then this isn't your problem.

As for your reflection, it looks totally fine. It also will not impact whether you can see through glass. If you want to tone it down. You can either turn down the lights specular rays (impacts everything the light hits). Or turn down the specular on your glass (probably what you are looking for).

I hope this helps! let me know.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you! it worked! You're a life saver:)

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report