Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distortion in depth maps???

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
395 Views, 3 Replies

Distortion in depth maps???

Hi Guys,

I'm working on some computer vision stuff, and I thought making some simple synthetic data in maya would be really convenient especially because I need a normal pass and depth pass. Anyways, Ive rendered out my beauty pass with mental ray and also a depth pass. I then used the camera characteristics to create 3D points at each pixel and then applying the depth to turn it into a point cloud. The results are pretty nifty but i noticed that my ground plane is not flat!snapshot02.png

The included image are my results. I know this might be a bit out of scope for a Maya users board but I was wondering if maya/mentalray adds distortion to output images/depth maps by default. (I'm confident I didn't do it!)

I've attached the relevant passes.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kollig
in reply to: Anonymous

May be some gamma issue. Have you checked (or taken into account) that the passes are not linear data anymore but written out with gamma correction?

Message 3 of 4
mspeer
in reply to: kollig

Hi!

How is your depth pass rendered, has it a min and max setting?

Message 4 of 4
kollig
in reply to: Anonymous

One further possibility: Mismatch between depth (distance to plane perpendicular to optical axis) and distance (to eye point)?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report