Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displacement map issue, mesh is inflated at render

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jrebuffat
11491 Views, 5 Replies

Displacement map issue, mesh is inflated at render

Hello,

I am new to displacement map and today I wanted to try it out, so i created a model in zbrush, did the uv and all the stuff to get a good displacement map, now inside maya I import my low poly model and add a AiStandarSurface shader to the model then plug a file to the disp mat, switch to catclark and enable auto bump.

And now when I render my mesh, it look fat, so i tweaked a few thing and found out that when I tweak the scale on the displacement Shader it reduce the fatness of the model, but also make the detail drop at the same time, so i ended up with nothing in result…

Here is 2 pictures with the scale at 1 and scale at 0.

Hope we can find a solution for this, it may be completely stupid but I’ve been stuck on this for a few hours now and can’t figure it out even with lots of google searches…

Thanks you !

I have attached a zipped folder if you want to try the geo and map by yourself. 

55b0821a9b9cfa951900b86a27afff6a4f9140b4.jpg866c9f0762c25e46fdcb00f49085840bac0bdb90.pngscale of .5 in the disp atributescale of .5 in the disp atribute

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mspeer
in reply to: jrebuffat

Hi!

I can't open this rar file.

Make sure to set mid color and Color Space correct.

Color range (-1 to 1 / black) or (0 to 1 / grey)?!

Color Space for file node maybe "RAW"?!

Message 3 of 6
jrebuffat
in reply to: mspeer

Hello,

Tanks for the answer, yeah i think I am right on the color space of the file node, mine is set to RAW, and my color range is grey.

i have reattached a zip file this time wish contain the mesh and map, it should be good this time.

Thanks you !

Message 4 of 6
mspeer

Hi!

You need to shift your color value by 0.5, cause this is your midpoint.

There are many ways to accomplish this, you may use one of the utility nodes.

Message 5 of 6
jrebuffat
in reply to: mspeer

Thanks for the clarification, but can you go a bit more in depth about that solution ? I d'ont have the best experience with the hypershade atm, and i would not know how to do it... sorry for my low knowledge about this, it may sound stupid to you.

Thanks a lot for the help !

Message 6 of 6
jrebuffat

Hey,

found my issue,

it was from zbrush since the beginning, the thing was :

my midpoint on the multimap export tool was set to 0.5 and arnold need it to be set at 0 to understand the value from black to white correctly, since i don't find the way to adjust my midpoint in the hypershade of maya i directly exported a new map from zbrush with the midpoint at 0 and it worked perfectly well.

thanks for everyone who helped ! hope this can help other ppl.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report