Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displacement Map Exploding in Arnold?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1414 Views, 2 Replies

Displacement Map Exploding in Arnold?

Hey everyone,

I'm quite new to texturing and displacement maps, but I'm having a problem I've not encountered before.

I modelled a conker and textured it in Substance Painter, using a height map to create bumps and ridges when plugged in as a displacement map in Arnold. This works great.

When I try to do the same for the shell, however - which is covered in sharp spikes that come to a thin, 1-vertex point - the displacement map causes the ends of these spikes to invert and explode, completely destroying the mesh in the renderview. I'll try to upload some screenshots in a little while.

If anyone could help with this, it'd be a big weight off my mind! I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, or whether it's just not possible to put a displacement map on a mesh with such thin 'spikes' like I described.

Thank you all!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Without displacement applied

1.png

Displacement applied at height 0.500

2.png

Displacement applied at height 0.050

3.png

In the last picture, you can see that the mesh is inverting/imploding even along the edge of the shell. I'm so confused!

Message 3 of 3
Gsteeg
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you ever figure this out? My model looks like it's being torn apart on hard edges, I'm not super good with Maya either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report