Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catching Light With Transparency

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1516 Views, 3 Replies

Catching Light With Transparency

Hi, I know that you can use the aiShadowMatte shader in arnold to catch shadows with a transparent background but is there a way to do this with light instead of shadows? I have a mesh light that is illuminating a plane behind it similar to how a neon sign would illuminate the wall behind it. I would like to export this so that it keeps the lighting information from the mesh light but the plane itself is transparent. The goal is to have this overlayed over an image.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ecic2002
in reply to: Anonymous

I think what you are looking for is an aiAtmosphere. In your Arnold render setting, scroll down to environment. Click the checkered icon near "Atmosphere" and select aiAtmosphereicVolume. Set the density to 1. This will render the glow of the light creating a similar effect to what you described.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: ecic2002

That's an interesting way to go about it, I didn't think of that. Although I found that I could get the result I wanted using AOVs.

Thank you for the response!

Message 4 of 4
george.stamenov
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you explain how did you get it to work? I am looking to get a couple of lights with alpha. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report