Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold Not Rendering One Piece of Geo

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
lms2k
3360 Views, 9 Replies

Arnold Not Rendering One Piece of Geo

// Warning: resetting parameter nlist on Eye_LShape (found: nans or infs) // 

This is the error I get when trying to render the left eye of my character.

Everything else in the scene renders just fine but this piece of geo. 

If worst comes to worst I'll just delete it and try again, but it's already weighted and whatnot so I'd like to ask here first. Thanks. 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
kathyQUJC3
in reply to: lms2k

Did you ever find a solution? I am also starting to get this problem with a character that we have rigged and have rendered in the past. Now an under shirt isn't rendering. I also get the same warning:
// Warning: resetting parameter vlist on Betsy_rig_new:betsy_dress_piecesShape (found: nans or infs) //
// Warning: resetting parameter nlist on Betsy_rig_new:betsy_dress_piecesShape (found: nans or infs) //

I updated to the lastest Arnold, made sure the object is set to render, and it's not transparent. It's still missing when using different materials on it.

Message 3 of 10
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: kathyQUJC3

There's garbage values in the vertices and normals, so the list of vertices and list of normals are reset (cleared). So there's nothing to render.

NaN = not a number

Inf = an infinite value

Basically, these values are either undefined or cannot be represented accurately.

Try cleaning up the mesh

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 4 of 10
kathyQUJC3
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hey Stephen, Thanks for the quick reply. I tried running the cleanup tool and it said there was nothing to clean up. We outsourced this character to be rigged. Could this be the result of some rigging mistake? I'm afraid to mess with the geo too much and break the rig. It's very low poly and simply geo. 

Edit: When I render with Maya Software it does render. It will not render using Arnold. 

Message 5 of 10
jpanesVLCLS
in reply to: kathyQUJC3

Hello, did you ever find a solution for this? I have encountered a similar problem, but then the model disappears completely leaving only the joints and controllers out of proportion.

Student trying to learn more about Maya
Message 6 of 10
lms2k
in reply to: jpanesVLCLS

The issue I had happened so long ago now, and it was a rare issue so I don't remember the route I took to fix it. Myn apologies. However I don't want to leave you empty handed.

Generally now, whenever I have an odd issue with geometry that is weighted, I use this extremely accurate skin weight import/export tool called Dora Skin Weights (https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/dora-skinweight-import-export-for-maya). My process is just unbinding the skin, deleting any history on the geo (sometimes just converting it to an obj just to nuke it and saving it back as an .ma/.mb), then bringing it back into the scene, binding the skin again and importing the weights. 

If that doesn't work then the geo probably needs a fix and then be rebound to the joints and most likely new weights.

Message 7 of 10
eesamuelek

I came across this error as well and the solution for me was removing "Nonmanifold geometry", edges, faces and invalid components from the Mesh --> Cleanup tool.

Hope it can be of use to anyone.

Message 8 of 10
gottomsgaming

Had the same issue with a skinned mesh in Maya 2022. Since the Dora Skin Weights tool doesn't seem to work for me, simply exporting the skin weights (Skin > Export Weight Maps...), unbinding the skin, re-binding it and then importing the weights back (Skin > Import Weight Maps...) worked perfectly and fixed the issue.

Message 9 of 10

does not work for me arnold still doesn't render the object
Message 10 of 10

how do i clean up the mesh ?
i tried using the cleanup tool but even if i tick the option "Nonmanifold geometry" in "Remove Geometry" the issue persists

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report