Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold Mirror light rays reflection

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1325 Views, 8 Replies

Arnold Mirror light rays reflection

Hello, i need help, i'm trying to get light rays getting reflected into a mirror with an AiAtmosphere.

But when i set up the scene with a plane (the mirror with aiStandardSurface preset chrome) and a spot light shaped like a lazer, i can see the ray on the mirror but the ray doesnt rebound like the example below.

Example 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

You can't do something like this with Arnold.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Ok thanks for the reply 🙂

Message 4 of 9
zambetti
in reply to: mspeer

So, to confirm, there is absolutely no way, in Arnold, to trace light rays leaving a "mirror" surface to their destination - like in in this Iray example: a large mirror reflecting sun light onto a tower (sky removed for clarity).

Message 5 of 9
toby.gainesQTXCX

Try caustics? I've done that in other renderers... but this is arnold, so yea it probably won't work 

Message 6 of 9
zambetti

I did. Not working,  Usually caustics needs to be on, like in Iray above. I also had done it with Mentalray and it worked. Not with Arnold, apparently.

Message 7 of 9
toby.gainesQTXCX
in reply to: zambetti

yea I just tried it too - utter failure - why the hell does anyone use this crap, there's literally 0 benefits to it, except maybe to pipeline. Nerds love it, who cares if it's the slowest and noisiest renderer of all, and crashes constantly - to hell with everyone else, incl. the final customer, the audience
Message 8 of 9
toby.gainesQTXCX
in reply to: zambetti

I searched the help - there's nothing but a bunch of articles on how to FAKE caustics. And one on refractive caustics, nothing on reflective. 

It does reflective caustic completely wrong. I focused a light with 0 spread, on a mirror with 0 roughness, and the only light that came from the caustics was 100% soft, broad, unfocused light. 

Like typical Autodesk they probably just have 1 guy working on features / bugs. And all they care about is pipeline tools like Operators, nm that the renderer is trash. 

Message 9 of 9
zambetti

That is consistent with what I have experienced. Too bad.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report