Community
Maya Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya SDK topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting a surface

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
max_schoenherr
947 Views, 3 Replies

Plotting a surface

Hi there, a while ago I did a tutorial about creating a circle with two equations: https://youtu.be/jt111bspge0

When I enter a function in, say, Wolfram Alpha, I get a plottet surface. sin(x)*tan(y) for example looks quite nice. How can I achieve this in Maya using expressions only? No MEL or Python scripting. Just wondering.

----Maximilian

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Oh, by "plotting" I mean just the motion, for example of a locator in space.

Message 3 of 4

If I'm not mistaken, when you enter an expression on an attribute, you are actually creating an expression node which is in fact executing MEL code. You have access to special variables like "time" and "frame", and you can set numerical values by just using the nodeName.attribute syntax, rather than setAttr and getAttr commands, but apart from that, you are still just executing MEL. You can access the expression from Windows -> Animation Editors -> Expression Editor.

I'm still a bit confused by what you mean by "plotting" a surface. Your example sin(x) * tan(y) is a multivariable function, so it should produce a surface, not a line. You could set up an expression to give you the value of sin(x) * tan(y) on the z axis as you move the locator through space. Then you could animate the locator to move around the domain of x and y.

locator1.tz = sin(locator.tx) * tan(locator.ty);

Maya will not, however, generate a surface for you with an expression. 

Message 4 of 4

Hi, that's exactly what I needed. thanks! I'm now looking into how to create that surface. Or maybe a particle "carpet".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report