Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Am I Unable To Select Faces?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
5092 Views, 4 Replies

Why Am I Unable To Select Faces?

I'm a beginner to Maya--today is my very first day using it. I'm having one specific problem--when I have a cylinder, I am unable to select the faces at the BASE of the cylinder. The length of the cylinder faces are fine, but I cannot select any face at the base. Additionally, when I hover over it, the edges turn reddish-yellow. Do I have something turned on that I don't know about? I'm watching a youtube tutorial and he's able to select the base faces, but I am not. Pictures are attached. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Labels (7)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

1. You have Soft Selection enabled. Use hotkey "B" to toggle this setting.

2. If you want to select faces make sure to use Selection Mode "Face" or "Multi", but not "Edge".

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi,

I turned off soft select, which helped a little bit. But I'm still unable to select the faces at the base of the cylinder--I have it on Selection Mode "Face", but when I hover over the base, it's highlighting the faces on the length of the cylinder, not the base. Attached is an example (my cursor is hovering over the base). Any ideas?

Message 4 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

You mean the top faces, cause the bottom faces are not visible with this camera view?

Does the selection of faces work correct for other objects?

What GPU/driver version are you using?

Please try different Viewport modes / Render engine settings like "DirectX".
(Preferences -> Display -> Viewport 2.0)

A restart of Maya is required after changing this setting.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

That solved it! Thank you so much--you are an absolute life saver!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report