Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UVW mapping ROTATE exact: HOW?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
5264 Views, 5 Replies

UVW mapping ROTATE exact: HOW?

When in the UV Editor, how do I stipulate exact rotations of faces, or shells?

I can select them and rotate them with the rotate tool, by "hand", but this is not exact.

And I cannot find anywhere to set an exact rotation, nor a modifier key that activates any kind of snapping to degrees of a rotation whilst hand rotating.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

There’s only 90 degree rotation, or rotation

by hand.( you can script a button for the shelf to do that)...
most artist lay the UVs horizontal or vertical, the same for the Layout tools, see the Docs if there are any changes in 2020,,you can also find a script like Ninja tools perhaps that might have this feature.

Also Bonus tools has precise UVs Rotations but i don’t believe the UV Editor has such option.

Message 3 of 6
mspeer

Hi!

By using Step Snap you can use any value for rotation you want, just check the tool settings.

You can also use Transform -> Rotate at the right side menu (UV Toolkit)

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Pretend I’m a complete idiot.

Can you give me a step by step on how to do each of these, or screenshots of exactly where these things are?
Message 5 of 6
osidedan

haha it's not an idiot thing, the tools you need are kinda buried in the UI and hard to find if you don't know they are there. To get to them though do this:

Open the UV editor. In the UV editor, go to Tools>Show UV Toolkit:

UV_toolKit.png

This should pop up the UV ToolKit. In the UV toolkit, twirl down the transform option, and under rotate you will find settings for rotation snapping:

rotation_snapping.png

clicking the green circular arrows will rotate your selected UVs the amount that is set in the field to the left. If you turn on Step Snap, when you rotate in the UV window with the rotate manipulator it will snap to the value to the right, which is what mspeer was talking about. Hope that helps!

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: osidedan

THANK YOU!!! 

Exactly the kind of information I was/am in dire need of.

Maya is about as intuitive and helpful as a bureaucrat out to lunch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report