Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV sew issue

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bsmith19K8TQ8
326 Views, 5 Replies

UV sew issue

Hello everyone,

I'm having some issues with UV sewing my character. They're certain areas of the character I'm UV mapping that have automatic cuts. I tried sewing them and  merging vertices and edges. However, nothing is happening  I could really use a hand here?

thanks!

I posted the file if you want to take a look 

CUT_01.PNG

CUT_02.PNG

CUT_03.PNG

   

Tags (4)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
damaggio
in reply to: bsmith19K8TQ8

You need to Zip the file first before posting it.

Message 3 of 6
bsmith19K8TQ8
in reply to: damaggio

sorry its in

Message 4 of 6
damaggio

You only UVed certain parts of the character, you need to continue with the hands and all the other parts.

You can also just use flat colors on your character and avoid the UV steps.

Watch some good tutorials to guide you thru.

Best regards.

Message 5 of 6
artfully3d

Hi bsmith - I looked briefly at your file and sewing is working just fine, so I thought perhaps there might be a step in your workflow that may be missing. 

Looking at the character's hand as an example, an easy approach is to select the hand model, then go to the UV menu at the top of the interface, and begin the process with one of the built in unwrapping options. I personally would aim my camera view directly at the hand model, and then use the UV --> Camera Based. In your UV editor, you'll then see something like this (image below) 

artfully3d_0-1668117713067.png

From there, rather than sewing, you can instead choose where the seams will be by cutting. You can cut by first selecting the edges you wish to use a seam.  Just as an example, in the next picture I cut a seam where the hand meets the wrist.

artfully3d_1-1668117929168.png

Rather than starting with whatever state the UVs are in and trying to sew many pieces together, begin by remapping the object using the tools provided in the UV menu, and then edit the result from there. This is just one example, there are many ways to approach UV mapping depending on the object and your workflow.

Hope this helped!

Message 6 of 6
bsmith19K8TQ8
in reply to: artfully3d

It does thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report