Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV Distortion

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1536 Views, 4 Replies

UV Distortion

Hey, I am playing with the new uv distortion function. I have to Objects sharing the same texture (with repeat like a brickwall). So I created a Material and applied it to the two objects. Now my problem, the two objects dont have the same size. I made UV maps so that both are nice and have no distortion at all. The thing is, if I use uv repeat to have the texture how I want on one object, on the other it doesnt look the same (bricks either smaller or bigger). So until now my workflos was to just change the size of the uv's (scale uv of smaller object up) that both objects share the same amount of checker pattern in hight for example. When I apply the material with e.g. uv repeat 10 times it will look the same on both. With this technique I get lot of compression at the model though. So my question is, what is the right way? And does it even matter if I have compression on planar models like a room of a building? I mean the squares keeping their form just getting smaller To prevent distortion I would have to create a new material and fit the uv repeat for the smaller object. But that would lead to more work... Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi gutheil , what do u mean by compression on a planar model? The way you describe it seems all good to go, if the checker texture is uniform across the room.... Post a picture please 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

I try to explain with the pictures...

In the first image I have the model with a checkern paddern and in the second image you see it has no distortion. All is white!

dist01.jpg

dist02.jpg

Now I have another model, those are different parts of a level in a building. You can see that the checkern paddern is more dense in a undisorted stage:

dist05.jpg

That means, if I want to use the same material on both models, like a wallpaper (512px image for tiling) I have to have the same amount of pattern from top to the bottom so that the wallpaper looks the same on both models!

So I would just increase the uv of the smaller part to that point I get the same amount of pattern, like here:

dist03.jpg

All are still square but the uv distortion feature of Maya shows me that this part is disorted (blue = compression) like in the following image:

dist04.jpg

I dont know if that matters, maybe not maybe yes, maybe I get problems in Unity later on while lightmapping it?! Any ideas?

Message 4 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

Well the bottom line is do you see any distortion with your final texture displayed ?, even if the new UV feature shows distortion, that might not be noticeable, if you want the same texture exactly the same on both models the UVs should have the same size but remember that you can use a separate 2D texture placement node for the second model but have a different repeat number of times to match the other walls.

For the blue distorted shell if u want you can try a Unfold "horizontal"....but then again only if you think you see a distortion with the final texture ....they look pretty good from here.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

A second node with seperate uv repeat would solve the problem I think, I dont know how... I gonna check on that! Is still the question how many times to repeat, I would have to calculate that out?!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report