Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shading help!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
peyton4596
444 Views, 3 Replies

Shading help!

I need help with shading attributes for metal and plastic, but every site is saying use Mia Material or Arnold and I dont want to rely on those things since they dont work well with my computer. Can someone help me with exact attribute numbers or give me a link to a helpful video or something.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: peyton4596

Those are some of the best materials to use in Maya, specially Arnold since MR doesn't exist anymore.

"Can someone help me with exact attribute numbers".....on what shaders then if not those? what renderer?

Message 3 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: damaggio

Also shaders are not responsible for computer malfunction , is either a problem with the installation or comp hardware.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: peyton4596

For starters, you could define what type of metal/plastic you're looking to make.

You need a basic understanding of what each channel in your shader is for. With that and carefully looking at a real world reference, it will start being easier putting 2 and 2 together.

Here's an example: you want to make a gold shader.

Most people go about gold totally wrong, they see it as yellow, but it's actually not. For gold, you would pick a dark brown base colour and yellow is what you would put in the specular colour, the specular colour channel is where metals get most of their colour.

Another thing you have to think about is how glossy is the surface. Reflective materials like shiny metals or plastics have a smaller tighter specular highlight. Dull plastics have a bigger softer specular highlight. Brushed metals are anisotropic, they don't have a round highlight, instead they have a long one going against the brushed grain. Always remember, that even dull surfaces have a tiny bit of highlight and reflection.

And then there's another thing called fresnel. If you look at a linoleum floor, directly underneath yourself, you won't see your own reflection, but if you look further, you will see objects reflected on the linoleum.

IMG_7217.JPG

There is nothing that will help you understand this better than looking at real world objects and how they interact with different sources of light.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report