Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset pivot point to original position and rotation

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
84433 Views, 13 Replies

Reset pivot point to original position and rotation

I'm quite new to Maya and, as a result, have made a general mess of a lot of my workspace, in particular, my objects' pivot points.

Earlier, I grouped a load of objects (some of which had been rotated around) together, which seemed to set their pivot point to the world origin (0, 0, 0). I have since separated the objects and want the pivot point of each to be exactly like they were before I made the group, i.e., centred and with the correct rotation.

I have tried resetting the pivot point, but this only puts it back in the right position, and the rotation of it still follows the world axes. I've included a screenshot with the Scale tool selected where you can see that the axes it brings up are off in relation to the way the object is rotated.

Does anyone know of a way of fixing this, or at least a workaround? I can't edit things like this!

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pshwayka
in reply to: Anonymous

Select each object and click Modify->Center Pivot...and double click on the move tool to open its settings, then choose the Axis Orientation you want from the dropdown list, or hit Reset to reset the orientation to world axis.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: pshwayka

Unfortunately, that's not what I'm looking for as it doesn't fully reset the axes.

This is a new cylinder I've spawned in to hopefully show you what I mean:

In this, the green axis is pointing directly along the cylinder. Currently, I have not found a way to reset it to look like this.

Message 4 of 14
J450NP13

Go into your tool settings and hit the world coord.

Message 5 of 14
pshwayka
in reply to: J450NP13

No...the Axis Orientation should be set to "Object" if he wants it as shown in the image.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Ah, I hadn't noticed the second drop-down arrow under Axis Orientation - I was able to press Set to Component and select the object to orient it the way I wanted. Thanks for your help!

Edit: To clarify, setting the Axis Orentation to 'Object' didn't fully fix it, but using the drop-down arrow below, I used Set to Component and selected an edge of the cylinder.

Message 7 of 14
J450NP13

Yeah you're right...I misread that.

Lol @ NO

Message 8 of 14
pshwayka

Yeah...I was basing the "Object" selection based on your image...which showed the cylinder in "Object" selection mode.

Smiley Happy

"Component" is for orienting it to based on your currently selected component while in edit mode.

Message 9 of 14
pshwayka

@J450NP13 I thought about putting an exclamation mark after the "No" but I didn't want to sound too critical.

Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 14
J450NP13

Lololololololol

Message 11 of 14
iekomedia

I am having this issue and its frustrating me. everytime i set to local, click off and click back, it switches to world even if the setting is local. So I will try these steps. 

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I've been going crazy for a month trying to figure out how to do the OPPOSITE - to fix all of my objects with wonky pivots that neither conform to the bearing of the world or the objects themselves.

Turns out, the answer to my problem was hidden in a tiny little seemingly-static arrow, quietly nested inside an esoteric menu.

Sarcastic thanks, Maya. And a sincere thanks to you guys.

Message 13 of 14

This worked for me perfectly

Message 14 of 14
ronan.coyleXVTUV

could you tell us where that function is?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report