Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify freeze transformations: translate delta?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2495 Views, 5 Replies

Modify freeze transformations: translate delta?

I am having trouble understanding how Modify / Freeze Transformation can freeze the translate values unless it is addiing some kind of delta.  If you move an object to 2,2,2 and freeze- translate will say 0,0,0, but the object did not move and it's center does not appear to have moved. 

I am puzzled by what has happened.  Is there some kind of delta added to the translate. 

I apologize if this is a simple quesiton.  I searched the web, help and forms and do not see anyone having this concern. 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
santd
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello JohnMcCall6357,

Thank you for posting to The Area Forums.

Modify > Freeze Transformations is used to make the current location of your object be the zero point. This comes in handy in many situations with rigging, animation, modeling, etc. For instance when rigging, you want your controls to have a zero postion after you set them to where they need to be such as where a hand would go. If you didn't freeze the transforms on the controller then when you input zero for your controller value, it would end up at grid 0,0,0 space instead of where the hand needs to be.

When you freeze transformations a transformGeometry1 node is created which contains the information for the freeze. You can delete the node and your object with revert back to how it was. However, if you delete the history on your object the node is lost and can't be undone but of course you can always snap to the grid 0,0,0 and freeze your object again to bring it back to how it was.

What you may be trying to do instead of Freeze Transformations is Modify > Reset Transformations.

I hope that information is helpful.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: santd

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.  A "delta" is added to translate.  

Now this leads to another question:

Your help says this about the "Pivot Point" Pivot points control how objects rotate and scale, and also represent the exact locations of objects in space. All transformations to an object are relative to the pivot point.

It seems that translation is NOT affected by the pivot point (if it is moved).  The pivot point only controls the rotation, scale and position of the manipulator.  Otherwise, when you move the pivot, the translate values would change too.  Is this correct?

Although, now I am puzzled as to how I could move my local origin.  I could put a null object at the object's origin to locate it, but I see no way to move it, other than moving all verticies, but that is not really moving it.   I apoligize for my ignorance.  I am coming from Softimage, and we never separated the translation origin from the rotation and scale origin.  Although, we did have a temporary pivot for on-the-fly use.

Thansk!!!

Message 4 of 6
santd

Hello,

Glad the information I provided previously was helpful. It's possible that I am not understanding the question you are asking. However, the pivot point is from where the object will be translated, rotated, or scaled. Moving the pivot by pushing the insert key and then moving the pivot will not cause any of the values to change, but after moving the pivot the object will now, translate, rotate, and scale from that point in space. If the pivot is moved so that it is not centered then when a scale or a rotate is performed the object is also "translated" or moving in space even though the translation value isn't changing. Also though if you have two objects one with the pivot moved 6 units in positive y and the other object with the pivot centered and they are both scaled by a value of 2 the objects will be identicle in appearance. However, one will be further down in the scene.

I apologize if this is confusing. It's definitely difficult for me to understand the question as I am not extremely famliar with Softimage so I can only imagine having to switch from Softimage to Maya.

Let me know if anything else comes up.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: santd

"...Moving the pivot by pushing the insert key and then moving the pivot will not cause any of the values to change, but after moving the pivot the object will now, translate, rotate, and scale from that point in space."

I still don't see how this can be true for translate.  For example, if you move a the manipulator of a sphere, the scale and rotate will indeed pivot from the new location, but the original origin is still sitting at the center, which is the objects actual location.  Any translations made, either local or global will be relative to this origin, not the pivot.  You can't see the origin, but you can snap objects to it.

To prove this, place another object and then select the original sphere- then use:

1. Modify/Snap Align Objects/Align Objects (open menu settings).

2. Mode on "Mid"

3. Align to "Last selected".

The new object will snap to the original origin of the sphere, not the pivot.  You can also enter 0,0,0 in the translation and the sphere will be centered around the scene origin again. 

If I could move this original origin directly my problem would be solved.  Note: I know I could move all the verticies of the object, but I do not see how this could be a practial way to move the origin to a useful location. 

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I think align object use "component pivot" not obj pivot... so always just calculate the center of components...

object pivot is difference than component pivot...

I found what is the point but the question was "how". I do not know the answer...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report