Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient Permissions to write USD file

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Creator4
1283 Views, 1 Reply

Insufficient Permissions to write USD file

Hello, I'm a sysadmin over a student animation department, and for some reason when students try to export geometry as a USD file, it gives this error:

// Error: Insufficient permissions to write to destination file '{filepath}' //

But the thing that's tripping me up is that OBJ export, Arnold-USD export, FBX export, and all the other export types work just fine. That, and even though USD export gives that error, it still generates a .usd file (albeit the only thing in it is #usda 1.0)

When I run Maya as root it exports just fine, so it seems to point to a permissions issue but how do I edit permissions for a plug-in? Why is it so specific to one export type?

We're running Maya 2022 on Fedora 34 as a point of reference.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
m.oumoumad
in reply to: Creator4

I'm amazed how little attention this issue is getting. I bet many people would think usd export just doesn't work with their scenes when they get this, that is what I initially thought when I had the issue with arnold's usd export, since it doesn't mention anything about permissions.

Anyway, we had this issue for a while, after digging more in the web for any posts related to this, I found that people who had it usually use Samba as opposed to NFS for their network file sharing, with our NAS we could use both NFS and SAMBA, so the moment I switched to NFS I didn't have the issue anymore. Most studios I think use NFS which is one of the reasons why pixar usd team couldn't reproduce this issue. So for now, your choices are :

- The usd folks could reproduce the issue and find how to fix it in the code.

- You switch to NFS.

- You use some intermediary exporting script, that first exports locally then moves the file to the desired network directory.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report