Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing into Maya creates two UV sets.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
366 Views, 1 Reply

Importing into Maya creates two UV sets.

Hey guys, 
I’m currently working on my first modeling kit, which I want to sell online. 
I’m making the Kit from old projects, which were mostly done in Blender, but I want to redo the UV’s in Maya. Unfortunately, Blender names the default UV set uv”, while Maya names it “map1”. So textures do not work in maya when importing the objects from Blender. The Objects have two UV sets: “uv” and “map1”, where map1 is empty. So I had to copy the uv’s to map1, then go back to uv, and then delete current uv set. This was pretty timeconsuming, because I have a lot of objects. Nevertheless I did this for every object. Then I wanted to work on that further in Blender. So I did this. I now want to make some changes in Maya again, but now I have the same problem again. Somehow Blender changed the UV set name to “uv”. 

Is there in easier solution for this problem? Maybe you know of a script, that does that quickly? 
Also, I don’t want that people that buy the Kit to have the same Problem.  
I don’t really use models from sites like CG trader, so I don’t know how other people deal with that problem. 

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
zewt
in reply to: Anonymous

Maya doesn't actually care what the default UV map is called, you can rename it freely.  "map1" is just the default, all that matters is which UV set is first in the list.  What format are you using to import/export models?  If it's importing a single UV set it should be able to import it as the default and keep the same name it was used on export.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report